Two Maui Resorts Receive Prestigious AAA Five Diamond Rating for 2011
By Sonia Isotov
The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and the Four Seasons Resort Maui (Wailea) were among only three properties statewide to receive the prestigious five diamond rating from AAA Hawaii for 2011.
The Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka’upulehu (Big Island) was the third property in Hawaii to receive the five diamond rating.
2011 AAA Hawaii diamond ratings were recently released in AAA Hawaii’s January/February 2011 magazine issue, and also include 8 in Maui County, out of 18 properties statewide, to receive a four diamond ratings:
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa (Kaanapali)
- Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa (Wailea)
- The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (Kaanapali)
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa (Kaanapali)
- Grand Wailea (Wailea)
- The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui (Wailea)
- Four Seasons Resort Lana’i at Manele Bay (Lanai City)
- Four Seasons Resort Lana’i, The Lodge at Koele (Lanai City)
Once an establishment becomes AAA Approved, it is then assigned a rating of one to five diamonds that can help travelers select establishments based on needs and expectations:
- One: For the budget-minded; basic, no-frills, but clean and friendly
- Two: Moderately priced, moderately equipped accommodations
- Three: Appealing to travelers desiring some style, and upgraded amenities and comfort levels
- Four: Upscale, refined and stylish, with enhanced quality throughout; high levels of hospitality, service, and attention to detail
- Five: The ultimate in luxury and sophistication; extraordinary physical attributes, meticulous service, and first-class comfort
Unlike some evaluation systems, the diamond rating system is based on experiences by a AAA inspector that has personally evaluated a hotel or motel, and that the establishment meets AAA’s exacting quality standards required for the number of diamonds assigned to that hotel or motel. Even before being assigned a diamond rating, an establishment must first meet strict guidelines with regard to quality, cleanliness, service, and value required to be AAA approved.
Diamond ratings for all participating hotels and restaurants are shown in AAA TourBook guides which are available free to members; who also receive special membership discounts. More information is available on the AAA Tourbook section website.