Congresswoman Hirono Retains Committee Assignments
By Wendy Osher
Congresswoman Mazie K. Hirono (D-Hawaii) will continue to serve on both the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastrucutre.
Hirono has served on both committees since 2007, following her election to her first term in the U.S. House. Despite Republican leadership, and a reduction in the size of committees Hirono was able to keep both committee assignments.
“Jobs and education are two of my highest priorities,” said Hirono. “Education is critical to developing the workforce Hawaii needs to create a more diversified and resilient economy. Investments in transportation and infrastructure provide good jobs, improve the quality of life for our citizens, and strengthen our economy.”
During organization meetings today, Congresswoman Hirono was appointed to serve on the following subcommittees:
Education and the Workforce
- Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education: jurisdiction includes early learning through high school level, Native Hawaiian Education, Head Start, school lunch and child nutrition programs, school safety, alcohol and drug abuse prevention, and vocational education.
- Subcommittee on Workforce Protections: focus is on wages and hours of workers, including the David-Bacon Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, workers’ compensation, and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit: jurisdiction includes Federal Aid Highway program, public transit programs, highway safety, and commercial motor carrier regulation and safety.
- Subcommittee on Aviation: includes all matters relating to civil aviation, including airport improvement program, aviation security, aviation noise; economic regulation of airlines, Federal Aviation Administration, and the National Transportation Safety Board.
- Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation: includes all matters relating to the Coast Guard and the Maritime Administration, including ports, passenger vessels, and international maritime activities and intermodal transportation.