345 to Earn Degrees in UH Maui College Spring Commencement
By Wendy Osher
University of Hawai’i campuses across the state celebrate spring 2011 commencement this month. An estimated 345 candidates will earn their degrees from the University of Hawai’i Maui College during a 1 p.m. ceremony on Sunday, May 15th at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center, Castle Theater. The guest speaker will be Governor Neil Abercrombie and the student speaker will be Caroline Nawatzki Neubauer.
Meantime, 93 students from the University of Hawai’i Center on Maui will receive degrees during their commencement at 5:30 p.m. Friday, May 13th at the Maui Beach Hotel, Elleair Ballroom. The guest speaker at that event will be Maui Chamber of Commerce President Pamela Tumpap.
The complete UH System 2011 spring commencement schedule is as follows:
Friday, May 6
- UH Mānoa College of Education Department of Education Technology Time: 5 – 7 p.m. Location: Wist Hall 234, UH Mānoa campus or at the Diamond Head Amphitheater in Second Life (SL) Island. Speaker: Christine Sorensen, dean, UH Mānoa College of Education. UH Mānoa College of Education Department of Educational Technology hosts its inaugural virtual graduation ceremony at the COE Second Life (SL) Island.
Wednesday, May 11
- UH Mānoa School of Nursing & Dental Hygiene Time: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Location: Neal S. Blaisdell Center Concert Hall. Speaker: Pamela Young, anchor, KITV4 News. Student Speakers: Kristina Ramilo and Janel Pulido, School of Nursing, and Crystal Bell, School of Dental Hygiene. Candidates: 19 dental hygiene, 57 undergraduate nursing, 43 graduate nursing.
Friday, May 13
- Leeward Community College Time: 5 p.m. Location: Tuthill Courtyard, Leeward CC campus. Student Speakers: Rose Kopp and Marie Ramos. Candidates: 235.
- Honolulu Community College Time: 5:30 p.m. Location: Waikīkī Shell Speaker: Danene Lunn, Manuheali‘i. Student Speakers: Willsie Scott and Kevin Matsumoto. Candidates: 638.
- UH Mānoa College of Engineering Time: 5:30 p.m. Location: Campus Center Ballroom, UH Mānoa campus.
- UH Mānoa Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge Time: 5:30 – 8 p.m. Location: Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies, Hālau o Haumea. Candidates: 46 undergraduate, 6 graduate.
- University of Hawai‘i Center, Maui Time: 5:30 p.m. Location: Elleair Ballroom, Maui Beach Hotel. Speaker: Pamela Tumpap, president, Maui Chamber of Commerce. Candidates: 93.
- Kapiʻolani Community College Time: 6 p.m. Location: The Great Lawn, Kapiʻolani CC campus. Speaker: Kalani Fujiwara, alumni and Kapi‘olani CC political science instructor. Student Speaker: Heather Young, co-valedictorian. Candidates: 330.
- Kauaʻi Community College Time: 6:15 p.m. Location: Performing Arts Center, Kaua‘i CC campus. Speaker: The Honorable Neil Abercrombie, governor, State of Hawai‘i. Candidates: 273.
- Hawaiʻi Community College, Manono Campus Time: 7 p.m. Location: Edith Kanakaʻole Multi-Purpose Stadium. Speaker: The Honorable William “Billy” Kenoi, Mayor, County of Hawai‘i. Student Speaker: Seth Tucker, liberal arts graduate candidate. Candidates: 420.
Saturday, May 14
- University of Hawai‘i at Hilo Time: 9 a.m. Location: Edith Kanakaʻole Multi-Purpose Stadium. Speaker: Dr. Hank C.K. Wuh, founder and CEO, Cellular Bioengineering, Inc. Student Speaker: Valerie Dionne. Candidates: 607. UH Hilo marks a historical milestone when the College of Pharmacy awards its first doctor of pharmacy degree during the spring 2011 commencement ceremony.
- University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa – Baccalaureate Degrees Time: 9 a.m. Location: Stan Sheriff Center, UH Mānoa campus Speaker: Jim Leach, chairman, National Endowment for the Humanities Student Speaker: Sarah Riordan, BA in speech candidate Candidates: 1,800.
- Windward Community College Time: 1 p.m. Location: Palikū Theatre, Windward CC campus Student Speaker: Fay M. Kauanoe and Leah M. Keoppel Candidates: 55.
- University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa – Advanced Degrees Time: 3 p.m. Location: Stan Sheriff Center, UH Mānoa campus Speaker: The Honorable Neil Abercrombie, governor, State of Hawai‘i Candidates: 800.
- University of Hawai‘i Center, West Hawaiʻi Time: 4 p.m. Location: Keauhou Convention Center, Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa Speaker: Lynne T. Waters, associate vice president of external affairs and university relations, University of Hawai‘i System Student Speaker: Daniel Cody, Sr., culinary arts graduate candidate Candidates: 64.
- University of Hawai‘i–West Oʻahu Time: 5 p.m. Location: Neal S. Blaisdell Center Concert Hall Speaker: Peter Carlisle, mayor, City and County of Honolulu Candidates: 142.
Sunday, May 15
- UH Mānoa John A. Burns School of Medicine Convocation Ceremony Time: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Location: Neal S. Blaisdell Center Concert Hall Speaker: Dr. Darrell Kirch, president and CEO, Association of American Medical Colleges. Student Speaker: Martin Ishikawa, class president Candidates: 63.
- University of Hawai‘i Maui College Time: 1 p.m. Location: Castle Theater, Maui Arts & Cultural Center Speaker: The Honorable Neil Abercrombie, governor, State of Hawai‘i. Student Speakers: Caroline Nawatzki Neubauer Candidates: 345.
- UH Mānoa William S. Richardson School of Law Time: 5 p.m. Location: Andrews Amphitheater, UH Mānoa campus Speaker: Sabrina Shizue McKenna, associate justice, Supreme Court of Hawai‘i. Student Speaker: Wilson Unga and Nicole Heilemann Candidates: 99 JD, 11 LLM.
Monday, May 16
- UH Army ROTC Commissioning Ceremony Time: 6 p.m. Location: Kennedy Theatre, UH Mānoa campus Speaker: The Honorable Neil Abercrombie, governor, State of Hawaiʻi. Candidates: 26 cadets.