Motorist Advisory for Maui Visitor Industry Charity Walk
By Wendy Osher
The 33rd Annual Visitor Industry Charity Walk takes place this Saturday, May 14, 2011 beginning at 7 a.m. in Kahului. Motorists are advised to use extra caution because of the increased number of pedestrians along the route. Walkers will utilize Halia Nakoa Street, Kanaloa Avenue, Keopuolani Parkway, Wahine Pio Drive, Kaahumanu Avenue, Lono Avenue, and Kane Street. The walk will run from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday, with additional festivities taking place at the War Memorial Soccer Feild.
A similar Charity Walk held on the Friendly Isle last weekend was successful in raising more than $5,000 on Molokai. All funds raised on Molokai will go towards charities on that island.
Money raised on the Valley Isle this Saturday will stay in Maui County. Last year, the event, hosted by the Maui Hotel & Lodging Association, raised $357,000, which in turn benefited more than 70 Maui charities.
It’s not too late to be a part of the event. Walker Pledge forms will be taken right up until Saturday morning. A minimum $35 pledge will allow participants entry into a drawing for door prizes throughout the day.
Grand Prizes to be drawn a the end of the program include:
- 1st Grand Prize: A Trip for 2 to Las Vegas – 3 nights/4 days accommodation at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, 4- day rental with Enterprise and 2 round trip coach airfares
- 2nd Grand Prize: An Oahu Weekend Getaway – 2 night ocean accommodation at the Sheraton Waikiki, 2-day rental with Avis and 2 roundtrip airfares on Hawaiian Airlines
- 3rd Grand Prize: A Maui Staycation – 2 nights at the Grand Wailea and a $200 dining credit at Humuhumunukunukuapuaa.
Pre-registration is being accepted through 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 12, 2011. To pre-register, teams should submit white copies of the Official Walker Form, Recruiter Summary Sheet and all funds collected in a sealed Deposit Envelope. Drop off locations include:
- First Hawaiian Bank: Lahaina Branch (Attn: Dean Duque), Kihei Branch (Attn: Victor Corpuz), or Wailea Branch (Attn: Helen Giron).
- Maui Hotel & Lodging Association: 1727 Wili Pa Loop, Suite B in Wailuku