MADD Honors Maui OfficersMay 24, 2011, 5:56 AM HST · Updated May 24, 5:57 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) joined Maui Toyota yesterday in honoring Maui Police Department officers for the lives they saved in 2010, by identifying drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs and getting them off the road.
MADD issued its Individual Award to Officer Sepulona Falealii who made three impaired driving arrests in the Molokai District.
The Maui Police Department’s Vehicle Homicide Unit, led by Sergeant Barry Aoki, was issued the MADD Unit Award for exceptional achievement. Others on the investigative unit team are Officers Dukie Racadio, Lawrence Becraft, Duke Pua, Dawn Danley and Gregg Rowe.
MADD also recognized Maui police officers who made the most arrests for driving under the influence last year. The honorees are:
- Officer Rod Corso, Wailuku District, 14 arrests;
- Officers Jeffrey Platt and Angela Starr, Hana District, 1 arrest each;
- Officer Marvin Tevaga, Lahaina District, 18 arrests;
- Officer Falealii, Molokai District, 3 arrests; and
- Officer Carl Eguia, Kihei District, 12 arrests.
MADD’s annual awards raise awareness about the critical need to prevent underage drinking, stop drunk driving and support victims of this violent crime. Statistics show that more than half of all traffic fatalities in Hawaii involve alcohol.