Maui News

Hawai’i’s Largest Public Housing Project Under Renovation

October 5, 2011, 8:38 AM HST
* Updated October 5, 12:20 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

By Wendy Osher

Governor Neil Abercrombie. Profile photo/graphic by Wendy Osher.

Governor Neil Abercrombie joined state officials with the Department of Human Services today in visiting the Towers of Kuhio Park, the state’s largest public housing project.

The O’ahu housing complex, formerly known as Kuhio Park Terrace, is currently undergoing a $135 million renovation.

Gov. Abercrombie will join Human Services Director, Patricia McManaman in visiting with residents and checking on the progress of the project.

More than 100 residents are returning today to renovated units that have since been completed.


The two-year renovation project began on May 19, 2011.  The renovations of two high-rise towers are slated for completion by December 2013.


Renovations to Tower A is half-way done.  Residents have or are in the process of moving into 144 out of its 270 units.

During renovations, residents moved into an “on-site hotel” at Tower B. Renovations include reconfigured ground floors, the creation of new space for resident activities, social services, management offices and enlarged laundry facilities.

“With our private partners, we are moving quickly to renovate public housing units that have been vacant and rehabilitate occupied units in desperate need of repair,” said Governor Abercrombie. “We are investing in the people of Hawai’i by ensuring that families have safe and dignified housing as they move toward self-sufficiency.”


“Safe and dignified housing is essential for all of Hawai’i’s people, regardless of their economic status,” said DHS Director McManaman. “We are partnering with the private sector to expand the state’s stock of workforce housing and provide a comprehensive array of social services to rebuild the state’s safety net.”

Towers at Kuhio Park is a state housing project that rents to low-income tenants at or below 60% of the Area Median Income for 30 years.  The complex was built in 1963 and includes 347 public housing units, and 150 Project Based Section 8 units.  The remaining 58 units have rents set at 40% of the area median income.

*** Supporting information courtesy: Office of the Governor, State of Hawai’i.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments