Lahaina Halloween: Road, Travel & Safety RemindersOctober 31, 2011, 6:23 AM HST · Updated October 31, 10:35 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
The Halloween in Lahaina event returns in full capacity for the first time since 2007 after a judge on Thursday dissolved a TRO request, allowing the event to proceed.
With permit in hand and preparations underway, the event will run from 3:30 p.m. to midnight along Front Street in Lahaina.
The event has drawn tens-of-thousands of visitors in years past. This year’s theme, “Halloween Back on Front,” marks the return of the event’s extended road closure to accommodate an anticipated influx of revelers.
Event organizers remind those in attendance to obey the law. This includes the following reminders: underage drinking is not allowed; public alcohol consumption is not allowed; and public nudity is not allowed.
To meet potential bus ridership needs, the county launched a Halloween Express Shuttle that runs from War Memorial Stadium in Wailuku and from the Kihei Aquatic Center. The deadline to purchase Express tickets was on Sunday, October 30.
The county has also extended service on its Kaanapali Islander (Route 25) and Napili Islander (Route 30) bus routes for tonight only. No reservations are required and the cost is the normal rate of $1 each way.
- Ka’anapali Islander Route 25: Transit schedules will be increased starting at 3:30 p.m. to run every 20 minutes, departing from the Whalers Village in Ka’anapali and stopping at Cannery Mall and The Wharf. Last departing bus from Lahaina Town departs from the Wharf at 11:30 p.m.
- Napili Islander Route 30: Transit schedules will be increased at 9:00 p.m. to run every hour from Whalers Village. The last Napili-bound bus will depart Whalers Village at midnight.
Front street will be closed to vehicular traffic between Baker Street and Prison Street from 3:30 p.m. to midnight. No street parking is allowed during this time.
***Employees parked in parking lots with ingress/egress only on Front Street will not be able to exit parking lots between 3:30 p.m. and midnight.
A First Aid Station and Lost Person Tent is located at Banyan Tree Park on the corner of Front Street and Canal Street. This year there will be more port-a-potties and Light towers than in previous Halloween in Lahaina events, according to event organizers. Port-a-Potties will be located on Papaluau, Lahainaluna, Market and Canal Streets.
- 3:30 p.m. to Midnight: Front Street Road closure from Baker to Prison Streets. There will be no parking on Front Street Parking during this time. The road will be closed to vehicular traffic.
- 4:30 p.m.: 33rd Annual Keiki Costume Parade
- 6 p.m.: Campbell Park, Live Music 6 to 8 p.m. featuring “1810” and Sounds of Addiction; Official “ Back on Front” t-shirt sales; food vendors open; registration for costume contest 6 to 8:45 p.m.; face painting; keiki activities.
- 6 p.m. Banyan Tree Park, Disc Jockey and Emcee
- Costume Contest: 7 to 9 p.m.
- Announcement of Winners 9:30 p.m.