Maui News

Molokai Machete Incident Results in Propane Leak

February 6, 2012, 5:40 AM HST
* Updated February 6, 7:12 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

By Maui Now Staff

Residents of Kahalemua Housing Complex in Hoolehua were evacuated on Saturday afternoon because of a leak in a 2,000 gallon propane tank.

Fire officials say the supply line was ruptured when the owner of a unit was weeding in the area and hit the gas line with a machete at around 12:08 p.m.

Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said fire crews provided vapor suppression with a hose line and turned off the main valve to the propane tank.

Gas Company crews arrived just before 1 p.m. and repaired the line.


Residents were allowed to return when the area was deemed safe.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments