MPD Halloween Front Street Reminders
By Wendy Osher
The public is reminded of road closures in effect for this year’s Halloween in Lahaina event.
Maui Police will close Front Street from Baker to Prison Street at 3:30 p.m. The section of road will re-open at approximately 11 p.m.
Participants and spectators are reminded of the following safeguards that will be in effect during the Halloween event:
Parking & Street Closure Advisories:
Parking will be prohibited in the following areas between 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 31, and 2 a.m. on Nov. 1:
- Front Street, from Prison Street to Baker Street.
- Dickenson Street, from Front Street to Baldwin House Parking Lot.
- Lahainaluna Road, from Front Street to Wainee Street.
- Papalaua Street, from Front Street to the entrance of the Lahaina Center.
Police say violators will be cited and towed at their own expense.
Enforcement of Rules and Law:
To ensure a safe and enjoyable time for all, the Maui Police Department has issued a list of violations, for which they will be on special alert. The list includes the following:
- The area affected by the road closures for Halloween on Front Street is located within the recognized and protected Historical District of Lahaina. Authorities remind the public that the Lahaina Halloween festivities on Front Street is an alcohol-free event. Drinking of alcoholic beverages will not be condoned or tolerated in public areas. The use of plastic cups, water bottles, or any other drinking container to conceal liquor consumption is prohibited.
- Open lewdness will not be allowed or tolerated.
- Toy replicas of guns, knives, swords, or other types of weapons utilized as part of a costume will be inspected by police. If found to be real or utilized in a dangerous manner, they will be confiscated and proper charges will be initiated.
- Anyone found throwing eggs, stink bombs or firecrackers will be prosecuted.
- Although creativity is encouraged, costumes that pose a hazard to public safety due to their size or construction will be evaluated and banned if deemed inappropriate. Authorities advise that participants keep mobility and safety in mind when selecting their costumes.
- Dogs will not be allowed in the area with the exception of registered service animals.
- Stationary performances within the event area is not allowed. Stopping to play music or put on a skit is not allowed, according to police.