Hana Structure Fire Caused by Shrine CandleNovember 18, 2012, 1:38 PM HST · Updated November 19, 6:23 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
A Hana couple was displaced by a morning fire reported at around 9:11 a.m. on Sunday, November 18, 2012.
When crews from Engine 7 out of Hana arrived on scene, fire officials said they found heavy smoke coming from a 1,000 square foot wooden structure, and flames visible in a window in the back of the home.
Crews forcibly entered the home through the doors, doused the fire, and did a primary search of the residence, said Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.
No occupants were found on property at the time, and an initial investigation determined that the fire was accidental due to a shrine with a candle on it that caused the fire, said Mainaga.
The fire as extinguished just before 9:30 a.m. and caused an estimated $5,000 in damage, with about 15% of the building involved.
The fire was located at a home near mile post 28 of the Hana Highway.
In addition to Engine 7, other units assisting on scene included Mini 7 and Tanker 7.
The Red Cross was activated to assist the couple living in the home as they had no where to stay, said Mainaga.