Corrosion Leads to Propane Leak at Kahekili Terrace

June 27, 2013, 9:54 AM HST · Updated June 27, 9:55 AM
0 Comments
×

Photo by Wendy Osher

Photo by Wendy Osher

By Wendy Osher

Several units at the Kahekili Terrace apartments on Piʻihana Road in Happy Valley were evacuated last night due to a propane leak, officials said.

The incident was reported shortly after 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 26, 2013.

Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said a propane service line ruptured due to corrosion, resulting in the leak.

SPONSORED VIDEO

Occupants from six units in one building were evacuated for about an hour while crews from the Hazardous Materials unit in Kahului responded to shut off the main valve, said MFS Chief Mainaga.

The tank was expected to remain shut off until repairs could be made by the Hawaii Gas Company this morning, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Print

Share this Article

BREAKING NEWS 
TEXT ALERTS
Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):
E-Mail:
 

Weekly Newsletter

ARTICLE COMMENTS ( 0 )
View Comments