Maui News

Watercress Fire Deemed Accidental

November 27, 2013, 8:48 AM HST
* Updated November 27, 8:58 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Watercress Lounge, Wailuku.  Photo by Wendy Osher.

Watercress Lounge, Waiehu. Photo by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A fire at the Watercress Sports Bar & Grill in Waiehu resulted in an estimated $5,000 to the stove and back wall of the business, fire officials said.

The incident was reported at 11:38 p.m. on Tuesday, and was called extinguished at 12:51 a.m.

Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said the kitchen fire was accidental due to an unattended pot left on the stove.

Other businesses at the Waiehu Beach Center were evacuated during the incident, which involved about 40 people. No injuries were reported.

Waiehu Beach Center. Photo by Wendy Osher.

Waiehu Beach Center. Photo by Wendy Osher.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire officials say they responded to reports of a slight odor of smoke within the building, and upon investigation found a kitchen fire within the Watercress Lounge and the building’s attic space filled with smoke.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The sports bar was unoccupied when the incident occurred, and the fire was initially controlled by an automatic fire suppression system, according to department reports.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments