State Budget Bill Includes $500M for 80 Maui Projects
By Wendy Osher
The Hawaiʻi State Senate approved a supplemental budget bill that calls for more than $500 million in funds for more than 80 capital improvement projects in Maui County.
State senators passed House Bill 1700 CD1 on final reading on Friday.
The budget bill calls for $130 million for ground and site improvements for a new high school in Kīhei; $2.5 million for a new middle school in Central Maui; $20 million for land acquisition at Līpoa Point; and $72.6 million for land acquisition to build a highway that runs from Kīhei to Upcountry Maui.
Senators Roz Baker, J. Kalani English and Gilbert Keith-Agaran of Maui were among the lawmakers who worked throughout the legislative session to secure funding included in the budget bill.
“The projects funded in the budget definitely improve the quality of life for our residents,” said Commerce and Consumer Protection Committee chair, Senator Roz Baker in a joint press release announcement. Baker, who represents South and West Maui said, “The funding we secured is for upgrades to our hospitals, schools, roads, parks, harbors and airports – all important for our growing community.”
The budget bill also includes multiple allocations for the rehabilitation or replacement of several bridges along the Hāna Highway in East Maui including: $1.115 million for the Makanali Stream Bridge; $1.1 million for the Kailua Stream Bridge; $1.105 million for the Kōpiliʻula Stream Bridge; $1 million for the Mokulehua Stream Bridge; $950,000 for the ʻUlaʻino Stream Bridge; and $910,000 for the Puohokamoa Stream Bridge.
Senator J Kalani English, who chairs the Transportation and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee also commented in the announcement saying, “I am committed to ensuring that our bridges, highways, harbors and airports on Maui, Moloka‘i and Lāna‘i are safe and worked diligently to secure their funding.” English, who represents the East Maui area of Hāna, Upcountry Maui, and the outer islands of Moloka‘i, Lāna‘i, Kaho‘olawe, continued saying, “In the aftermath of the recent airplane tragedies on Moloka‘i and Lāna‘i, it is critical that the state continues such funding.”
Senator Gilbert Keith-Agaran, who is the vice chair of the Senate Tourism Committee and represents the areas of Wailuku, Waihe‘e, Kahului said in the press release, “Capital improvement projects and grants to Maui’s non-profits support our communities by creating valuable facilities and providing important employment opportunities. These projects are investments in our island’s future.”
The following list are among the key projects included in the budget bill and highlighted by Maui senators for capital improvement funding:
- $6 million: Upcountry Maui Watershed project, new pipeline system.
- $6 million: Upcountry Maui Agricultural Park, land acquisition, design and construction.
- $625,000: Maui Arts & Cultural Center, improvements and facility/grounds expansion.
- $4 million: Hale Mahaʻolu ʻEwalu, senior affordable rental housing campus at the Kulamalu Town Center subdivision.
- $550,000 Maui Economic Development Board.
- $140,000 Maui Economic Opportunity, construction for various facilities.
- $927,532 Maui Family Support Service.
- $130 million: Kīhei High School, ground and site improvements.
- $18 million: King Kekaulike High School, new auditorium.
- $750,000 Maui High School, weight training and wrestling rooms, renovate and expand the band/choir building.
- $2.5 million:Central Maui new middle school.
- $1.5 million: Kalama Intermediate School, outdoor covered play court.
- $700,000: Haʻikū Elementary School, two portable classrooms.
- $50,000: Maui High School Booster Club.
- $125,000: Hui Mālama Learning Center.
- $75,000: Lahaina Intermediate School, pedestrian safety improvements.
- $75,000: Nāhiʻenaʻena Elementary School, crosswalk and pedestrian safety improvements.
- $950,000: Easter Seals, construction for Phase 2 of the Maui campus.
- $1.5 million: Waiohuli Hawaiian Homesteaders Association, construction for Phase 2 of the Waiohuli Community Center and Park Master Plan.
- $4 million: Pūlehu Nui site improvement, plans, design and construction for site improvements and infrastructure of a master planned mixed use development in Pūlehu Nui, Maui.
- $500,000: Ka Lima O Maui, construction for a new program, administrative and support facility.
- $34.6 million: Maui Memorial Medical Center, new parking garage.
- $2.225 million: J Walter Cameron Center, facility repairs, renovation, and other improvements.
- $200,000: Hāna Health, plans, design and construction to replace three large capacity cesspools.
- $150,000: Hale Makua Health Services, plans and construction for a new nurse call system.
- $850,000: Maui Memorial Medical Center, mechanical and electrical improvements.
- $2 million: Maui Memorial Medical Center, facility repairs.
- $2.65 million: Kula Hospital, facility repairs.
- $500,000: Kula Hospital, cesspool closures and installation.
- $2 million: Maui Family YMCA, new gymnasium.
- $1.175 million: Maui Economic Opportunity, construction for various facilities at the MEO Transportation Center SIT.
- $1 million: Pūlehu Nui feasibility study and infrastructure planning.
- $2.5 million: Water transmission and storage for Upcountry, Maui.
- $9.7 million: Central Maui Regional Park, establishment of a regional park.
- $5 million: Maui Office Annex Building, design and construction for a facility to support departmental operations and programs in Central Maui.
- $800,000: Kāʻanapali Beach restoration and berm enhancement.
- $370,000: Māʻalaea Small Boat Harbor, replacement of wooden piers.
- $360,000: ʻĀhihi Kīnaʻu Natural Area Reserve, Kanahena parking improvements.
- $250,000: Kula Forest Reserve, reconstruction and resurfacing to existing access roads.
- $1.5 million: Maui Regional Public Safety Complex, new complex.
- $20 million: Līpoa Point, land acquisition.
- $72.6 million: Kīhei-Upcountry Highway, land acquisition for a new two lane highway.
- $50 million: Kahului Airport, land acquisition.
- $10 million: Kahului Airport, access road.
- $10 million: Puʻunēnē Avenue improvements from Kamehameha Avenue to the Kūihelani Highway.
- $6.35 million: Hāna Airport improvements, new Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Station.
- $6 million: Kahului Harbor improvements.
- $3.08 million: Traffic operational improvements to existing intersections and highway facilities.
- $2 million: Guardrail and shoulder improvements on state highways.
- $500,000: Piʻilani Highway traffic signal improvements.
- $20.5 million: Hāna Harbor improvements.
- $100,000: Kahului Baseyard improvements.
- $200,000: Kīhei Boat Ramp, re-grading, laying, patching, removal, and line striping.
- $8.5 million: Honoapiʻilani Highway, widening and/or realignment from Honokōwai to Launiupoko.
- $5.463 million: Honoapiʻilani Highway, Honolua Bridge rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $3 million: Honoapiʻilani Highway shoreline improvements, erosion mitigation, and roadway work in the vicinity of Olowalu.
- $2.25 million: Honoapiʻilani Highway improvements from Ukumehame to Olowalu.
- $2.5 million: Haleakalā Highway intersection improvements at Kula Highway.
- $3.25 million: Haleakalā Highway intersection improvements at Makawao Avenue.
- $550,000: Haleakalā Highway widenting at mile post 0.8.
- $1.115 million: Hāna Highway, Makanali Stream Bridge rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $1.1 million: Hāna Highway, Kailua Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $519,000: Hāna Highway widening from Kaʻahumanu Avenue to the Haleakalā Highway.
- $1.105 million: Hāna Highway, Kōpiliʻula Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $1 million: Hāna Highway, Mokulehua Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $950,000: Hāna Highway, ʻUlaʻino Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $910,000: Hāna Highway, Puohokamoa Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replacement.
- $1.545 million: Hāna Highway/Kaʻahumanu Avenue, beautification from Dairy Road to the Naniloa Overpass.
- $2.7 million: Maui Food Innovation Center, plans, design and construction for the MFIC at the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College.
- $1.8 million: Hoapili Hale (Wailuku Court Building), design and construction for exterior remedial improvements.
- $600,000: Hoapili Hale, exhaust monitoring and ventilation system upgrades.
Maui Island Total: $486,984,532
- $2.2 million: Moloka‘i Irrigation System improvements.
- $1.75 million: Moloka‘i Homestead Farmers Alliance, repairs, improvements, and installation of renewable energy systems for the Lanikeha Center.
- $400,000: Moloka‘i Athletic Complex, plans, design, and construction of a gym, footbal field, tennis courts and baseball field.
- $1 million: Guardrail and shoulder improvements on state highways.
- $500,000: Moloka‘i ‘Ohana Health Center, renovation and relocation.
- $521,000: Kalaupapa Settlement improvements, close landfills, and other improvements.
- $599,000: Kamehameha Highway, Makakupaʻia Stream Bridge, rehabilitation and/or replace.
- $2.25 million: University of Hawaiʻi Maui College, Molokaʻi Education Center.
Total Molokaʻi Island: $9.22 million
- $1.75 million: Lānaʻi Community Health Center, new facility.
- $2.5 million: Kahoʻolawe Island Reserve, plans, design, and construction for a renewable energy system at base camp.
Maui County Grand Total: $500,454,532