Miss Keiki Hula 2014 Headlines Keokea Hoʻolauleʻa
By Wendy Osher
Miss Keiki Hula 2014 will headline entertainment at the upcoming inaugural Keokea Hoʻolauleʻa, scheduled to take place this Saturday, Aug. 30 at the Keokea marketplace, according to an event announcement.
Keaolani Hosino, of Maui’s Halau Kekuaokalāʻauʻalaʻiliahi, under the direction of Nā Kumu hula ʻIliahi and Haunani Paredes, is scheduled to perform at 11:30 a.m., with hoʻolauleʻa events scheduled throughout the day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The venue is located near mile 16.9 of the Kula Highway at Kaʻamana Road, past Grandma’s Coffeehouse in Keokea.
The Labor Day weekend event is sponsored by the nonprofit Keokea Homestead Farm Lots Association and features more than 60 booths showcasing isle-produced fruits, garden fresh produce, and entertainment.
According to event organizers, Maui’s lone agricultural homestead at Keokea started with lot selection in 1986, and was completed in 2009.
Organizers of the hoʻolauleʻa event say they envision the festivities evolving into a twice-a-month marketplace that replicates the successful Makuʻu Farmers Market operated by Hilo-area homesteaders.
In addition to hula by Hosino, other performances include entertainment by:
- Maui’s own Thomas Bucauto, a guitarist and vocalist from Upcountry;
- Nā Hōkū Pā musical group from Oʻahu, whose members’ parents are Keokea farmers; and
- kī hōʻalu guitarist West Furumoto.
Additional entertainment includes:
- 1 p.m.: kupuna hula dancers from hālau Nā Hanona Kūlike ʻO Piʻilani, under the guidance of Nā Kumu Hula Kaponoʻai Molitau and Sissy Lake-Farm
- 2 p.m.: Maui Community Band.
- Recording artist Richard Dancil and the Kua`aina musical group, both of Upcountry, Maui, will round out the program.
Hawaiian games will also be offered in a keiki play area–including moa paheʻe (spear/dart throwing) and ʻulu maika (bowling using rounded stones).
The early part of the entertainment lineup will feature radio personality Alaka`i Paleka as emcee.
***Supporting information courtesy Kekoa Enomoto.