No Tsunami Threat to Hawaiʻi After 6.9 Indonesia QuakeNovember 21, 2014, 12:37 AM HST · Updated November 21, 12:39 AM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi after a magnitude 6.9 (upgraded from a preliminary magnitude 6.8) earthquake in teh Halmahera region of Indonesia reported at 12:10 a.m. HST on Friday, Nov. 21, 2014, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
The USGS reports that the quake occurred at a depth of 30 miles and was centered:
- 72 miles WNW of Tobelo, Indonesia;
- 100 miles NNW of Ternate, Indonesia
- 101 miles N of Kota Ternate, Indonesia;
- 142 miles ENE of Bitung, Indonesia; and
- 619 miles SW of Koror Town, Palau.
Image courtesy: Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.