Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How to Report an Abandoned Vehicle, Illegal Dumping

December 9, 2014, 8:48 AM HST
* Updated December 15, 7:04 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Abandoned vehicles, Maui.  Maui Now graphics/file image.

Abandoned vehicles, Maui. Maui Now graphics/file image.

The mayor answers questions from the public in this series.

By Mayor Alan Arakawa

Q: How do I report tires dumped on the side of the highway? They’re such an eyesore. For that matter, sometimes I notice cars on the roadside that look abandoned. Is there a number to call so they can be tagged and possibly hauled away?

A: To report illegal dumping, including tires, you can call Mālama Maui Nui (formerly known as Community Workday) at 877-2524. Mālama Maui Nui is funded by a County grant to clean up illegal dump sites. For abandoned vehicles, call the non-emergency line at Maui Police Department, 244-6400, and press “0” to file an initial report about an abandoned vehicle. Thank you for helping keep our roadways safe and clear of trash, dumped items and automotive debris.

Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 South High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments