Eat Like (Three) Kings: Holiday Dining Options
By Vanessa Wolf
Mele Kalikimaka, ya filthy animal.
Next week is Christmas, yet another holiday that goes hand-in-hand with massive calorie consumption.
To properly get your merry on, a number of venues are offering special holiday menus and lavish buffets.
Although hardly an inclusive list, the following provides a taste of what’s available regardless of your ranking on Santa’s nice (or naughty) list.
Hyatt Regency Maui
The west side resort is providing a few ways to celebrate next week.
- Christmas Brunch at Swan Court – An annual tradition, Swan Court hosts their family-friendly brunch next Thursday, December 25 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The all-you-can-eat buffet features items such as roasted turkey and wild rice gumbo; balsamic button mushrooms with blue cheese and basil; roasted pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon with an apple-jack sauce; hand-sliced sea salt and black pepper-crusted prime rib; smoked Molokai purple sweet potatoes; Brussels sprouts with honey mustard; and desserts such as freshly-baked pecan and pumpkin pies.
- Adults are priced at $74 per person and children are $34 each. Kids five and under eat free.
- Christmas at Drums of the Pacific Luau – The newly-refreshed Drums of the Pacific Luau is transforming for Christmas day with an all-you-can-eat buffet stocked with traditional island specialties and special holiday favorites. Also anticipate the usual: spectacular fire-knife dances, interactive entertainment, and more.
- Japengo Restaurant – Enjoy holiday-inspired market specials, and award-winning steaks, seafood and sushi. Reservations recommended.
- Umalu – Holiday-themed three-course prix fixe menu available for lunch and dinner
For reservations, call 808-661-1234.
Three’s Bar and Grill
For those on the south side, Three’s Bar and Grill in Kihei begins their festivities next Wednesday on Christmas Eve.
- traditional turkey dinner with honey miso-glazed ham
- whole mustard and garlic-rubbed Big Island prime rib with Hapa Nut Brown Ale au jus
- wasabi crema, edamame and blackened fresh Hawaiian catch, papaya salsa and Thai curry beurre blanc
- Ice Bar – fresh-caught seafood including oysters, shrimp and crab legs, as well as traditional island pokes and sashimi preparations.
- Winter Harvest – fresh island produce from Maui’s certified organic Kumu Farms, an assortment of prepared western and eastern style salads, international and domestic cheeses, chef pates and terrines, and freshly baked bread varieties.
- Chef’s Table – specialty hot entrees highlighting the resort’s culinary talents with exotic and ethnic offerings in addition to traditional holiday favorites.
- Carver’s Board – table-side carvings of select primary protein offerings like sage and thyme whole roasted tom turkey and herb crusted prime rib.
Other actions stations include made to order sushi, bouillabaisse with fresh seafood, and steam baskets with assorted dim sum.
The buffet is available for $65 per adult and $45 per child ages 5-12.
Then, on Thursday, December 25, Makena offers an all-day buffet.
Starting with brunch from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., diners can expect breakfast selections like eggs Benedict served on a jalapeño cornbread crouton, toasted macadamia nut banana pancakes, crème brulee French toast, peach crepes, and a made-to-order omelet station.
From 3 to 8 p.m., the holiday continues with a dinner buffet with savory selections such as pepper seared ahi or Mongolian BBQ ribs.
Expect the carving stations to serve spit roasted rosemary Pommery leg of lamb or whole roasted turkey with all the fixings, while dessert choices feature a selection of mini pies, tartlets, mousse and Holiday pudding.
Whether you take in Christmas brunch, lunch or dinner, the buffet is available for $65 per adult and $45 per child ages 5-12.
Reservations are required. Make yours by calling 808-875-5888.