Complete List of Maui Christmas Tree Recycling ProgramsDecember 26, 2014, 4:52 PM HST · Updated December 26, 4:53 PM 0 Comments
By Maui Now Staff
The County of Maui Department of Environmental Management today released a list of treecycling options available for Maui County residents. The treecycling is made available through county drop-off programs and through non-profit, donation-based tree pickup services.
Officials from the Solid Waste Division remind recyclers that it’s important to remove all ornaments, lights, hooks, tinsel and flocking so that the trees can be composted properly.
The County’s Recycling program is sponsoring free residential drop-offs of Christmas trees at the following landfills:
- Central Maui: At EKO Compost located at the Central Maui Landfill. Hours: Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and New Year’s Day, 6 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Closed on Sundays.
- West Maui: At the Olowalu Recycling Center. Hours: Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Closed Sundays and on New Year’s Day.
- Molokaʻi: at the Molokaʻi Landfill Green Waste Area. Hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Closed on Sundays and on New Year’s Day.
The following are community treecycling drop-off programs:
- South Maui: at Kīhei Compost off of the Piʻilani Highway. Hours: Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Closed on Sundays. Trees are accepted until Jan. 31, 2015. For all other greenwaste drop-offs, call (808) 874-0899 for fees.
- Upcountry: Makawao Elementary School on ʻŪkiu Road. Hours: Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. $5 donation to support the 5th grade End of the Year Banquet
The following are community treecycling pick-up programs:
- Central Maui: Valley Isle Soccer Academy Fundraiser – Christmas Tree Pick-up Service. Service available for Kahului, Wailuku, Haʻikū, Kīhei and Wailea. Hours: Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. To schedule a pick-up call (808) 385-3176. Accepting a suggested $10 donation per tree.
- Upcountry: Rotary Club of Upcountry Maui – Christmas Tree Pick-up Service. Service available for Pāʻia, Haʻikū, Makawao, Pukalani and Kula. Hours: Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014 and Saturday, Jan. 3, 2014, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. To schedule a pick-up call (808) 878-2177. Residents are asked to set the trees out on the curb before 8:00 a.m. on the day of pickup. $10 suggested donation per tree to support Upcountry Rotary’s community projects.
For general recycling information, contact the Recycle Maui County Hotline at (808) 270-7880. For Lānaʻi residents, call toll-free at 1 (800) 272-0125, ext. 7880; Molokaʻi residents call toll-free at 1 (800) 272-0117, ext. 7880.