Maui Discussion

Ask The Mayor: How Can I Get Rid of My Junk Vehicle?

February 8, 2015, 4:39 PM HST
* Updated February 16, 11:51 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

junk vehicle truck carAsk the Mayor

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor:

Q: How can I get rid of my junk vehicle? I have tried every donation charity I can find, but none of them work on Maui.

A: You can safely and legally dispose of unwanted vehicles at the Hammerhead Metals Recycling facility, located in the Central Maui Baseyard in Pu‘unēnē. For hours and fees, call (808) 280-8844. Thank you for not dumping your car. It’s illegal to abandon a vehicle, and besides polluting the environment with toxic fluids and other harmful materials, they are an eyesore! For more information on disposing of vehicles and reporting abandoned vehicles, visit or call the Abandoned Vehicles and Metals office at ph. (808) 270-6102.


Want to Ask the Mayor?


Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email: [email protected], phone: 270-7855 or mail: 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments