Schatz to Host Reception for Military Service Academies StudentsMay 26, 2015, 10:10 AM HST · Updated May 26, 10:12 AM 0 Comments
By Maui Now Staff
US Sen. Brian Schatz will host a reception honoring 10 students selected to attend the US Military Service Academies today at 3:15 p.m.at the Prince Kuhio Federal Building in Honolulu.
The academies are for the undergraduate education and training of commissioned officers for the US Armed Forces. As a member of Congress, Sen. Schatz has the honor and privilege of nominating exceptional students from Hawai‘i for appointment into the academies.
Nominees were selected by a panel that included Allen Hoe, a decorated Vietnam War veteran and current civilian aide to the secretary of the Army for East Hawai‘i.
Applicants were selected based on their ability to successfully meet the demands for the undergraduate education and training, the leadership skills they demonstrated through athletics and other organizations, and an overall commitment to the military, the community and the country.
Students selected to attend the US Military Services Academies:
US Air Force Academy
- Iliana Nakamoto, Hilo, Kamehameha Schools Hawai‘i
- Noah Crabbe, Honolulu, Kamehameha Schools Kapalama
- Christine Lew, Ewa Beach, James Campbell High School
- David Kop, Honolulu, Punahou School
- Gordon Kowalkowski, Kailua, Punahou School
- Robert Heckman, Kailua, Punahou School
US Naval Academy
- Kristina Ancheta, Ewa Beach, James Campbell High School
US Military Academy
- Nathanael Endo, Waianae, Waianae High School
US Naval Academy Foundation Sponsorship School
- Daniel Pagaduan, Honolulu, Radford High School
US Air Force Academy Prep School
- Sarina Wyrick, Hilo, St. Joseph High School