Community Emergency Response Team Training in Hāna
Maui Civil Defense Agency will host Community Emergency Response Team training in the East Maui town of Hāna.
The schedule for Hāna classes includes the following dates and times:
- 10/24, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. , Hāna High & Elementary School
- 10/31, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Hāna High & Elementary School
- 11/7, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Hāna High & Elementary School
- 11/14, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Hāna High & Elementary School
CERT is a training program that prepares members of the public to help themselves, their families, and their neighbors in the event of a disaster.
During a disaster, emergency service personnel may not be able to reach everyone right away. CERT volunteers provide critical support to victims, provide damage assessment information, and organize other volunteers at a disaster site. The role of CERT is to help others until professional emergency responders arrive on scene.
CERT training is free to Maui County residents. The 24-hour course is taught over four Saturdays, consisting of classroom instruction and field exercises. Students will learn the following:
- Identify and anticipate hazards
- Reduce hazards in the home and work place
- Extinguish small fires
- Conduct light search and rescue
- Set up disaster medical treatment areas
- Apply basic medical techniques
- Help reduce survivor stress
CERT training is open to individuals of all abilities, age 18 and older, and no previous experience is required. Participants between the ages of 14 and 17 may attend with a parent or legal guardian.
Participants must register to attend the training. Class size is limited and registration will be on a first come, first served basis. To register, contact Maui Civil Defense at (808) 270-7285 or email [email protected]