Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Do I Properly ‘Junk’ a Vehicle?

November 30, 2015, 7:28 AM HST
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Debra Lordan photo.

Debra Lordan photo.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Dear Mayor Arakawa,

Q: My vehicle died earlier this year and it was so old that it wasn’t really worth anything, so I just handed it over to a salvage yard and bought another car. I guess I must’ve skipped a step, because I recently received a notice from the county saying I need to pay the registration for my old vehicle by the end of the year. What must I do to rectify this situation? Do I contact the salvage yard or the county? Thanks.

A: You will need to properly junk your vehicle with the Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing. Based on Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §286-51.5, any owner of a vehicle—whether it is currently registered or not currently registered—that is incapable of safe operation for use on the public highway, can properly junk their motor vehicle by completing the following steps:

1. Complete the Statement of Fact for Junking Form.
2. Endorse the last-issued Certificate of Title by recording the odometer reading, having the registered owner(s) sign in section “A” on the front of the title, and if a lien holder is noted on the title, the lien holder must sign in section “B” located on the reverse side of the title.
3. Submit the completed Statement of Fact for Junking Form, the properly endorsed Certificate of Title, the last issued Certificate of Registration and the vehicle license plates to the DMVL for processing. There is no fee to complete this transaction.


To access the junking form online, visit and click on “MV&L Electronic Forms,” then “Statement for Junking.” If you need further assistance, you can call 270-7363 or stop by any of the DMVL offices at Maui Mall, Kīhei, Lahaina, Pukalani, Hāna (248-7280), Lāna‘i (565-7878) or Moloka‘i (553-3430).


Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the Ask the Mayor column.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments