No Advisories After 3.1 Earthquake Between Maui and Big Island
There were no immediate advisories issued following a preliminary magnitude 3.1 earthquake reported at 12:27 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 4, 2016, in waters between Maui and the Big Island of Hawaiʻi.
The quake was located about 49 miles SSE of Kahului, Maui and 24 miles WSW of Hawī, Hawaiʻi.
The USGS reports that the quake occurred at a depth of 8 km and was located:
- 24 miles WSW of Hawī, Hawaiʻi;
- 33 miles NNW of Kailua-Kona, Hawaiʻi;
- 49 miles SSE of Kīhei, Hawaiʻi;
- 57 miles SSE of Kahului, Hawaiʻi;
- and 135 miles SE of Honolulu, Hawaiʻi.