Maui News

Unattended Cigarette Sparks Lahilahi Place Balcony Fire

January 26, 2016, 10:12 AM HST
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic/images by Wendy Osher.

Maui firefighters responded to a report of a balcony fire at a two-story home on Lahilahi Place, at 6:01 p.m. on Sunday evening, Jan. 24, 2016.

Lahaina fire crews arrived on scene at 6:08 p.m. to find no smoke visible.

Fire officials say occupants who were home at the time, smelled smoke and discovered the decking on the balcony on fire. They reportedly extinguished the fire with a garden hose prior to the arrival of firefighters.

After investigation, it was determined that an unattended cigarette on the balcony decking caused the fire, said Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto.

Just before the fire was discovered, another occupant was seen smoking in the area where the fire started, but had left the home, according to department reports.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Fire officials have ruled the incident accidental.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Damages to the two-foot by two-foot burned area of the balcony were estimated at $200.

Firefighters from Lahaina and Nāpili responded to the incident

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments