Maui “Safer Bars” Campaign Kicks Off April 30
In honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, an Island Wide campaign with various community organizations and business owners have come together to support the launching of the “Maui Safer Bars Campaign.”
On Saturday, April 30, 2016, Kihei Kalama Village, Kahaleʻs Beach Club, Life’s A Beach, South Shore Tiki Lounge, Ambrosia and Dog and Duck have stepped forward to kick off the event starting at 10 p.m.
The campaign’s focus is on educating and raising awareness in the community around the issues of respect and consent. “We look forward to working with other establishments in the near future to continue to educate and raise awareness for our community,” organizers said in an event announcement.
The Maui Safer Bars Campaign builds on the success of a local campaign that originated on the island of Oʻahu called the “[respect] campaign.” The campaign sought to increase knowledge and the practice of “[respect]ful” behaviors.
Establishments participating in Saturday’s event will be taking an active role to promote safety and respect between patrons through awareness, education, and safety.
As part of the campaign, the “Maui Safer Bars” will:
- Share with bar patrons safety messages that encourage respect and lets customers know that bar staff are available for help; and
- Actively promote bars that adopt safety standards/
Members from the following agencies will also be on site during the event to interact with patrons, providing them with information about the campaign and other community resources.
- Maui Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
- Maui Victim Witness Assistance Division
- Maui Sexual Assault Center
- University of Hawaii Maui College
- Maui Police Department
- Maui Sexual Assault Response Team (MSART)
- Maui Liquor Control Commission
- Mental Health America of HI / Maui
More information can be obtained through Child & Family Services’ Maui Sexual Assault Center 24hr HELP Hotline: (808) 873-8624.