Big Island Public Schools to Close Wednesday and Thursday due to Madeline
The Hawaiʻi State Department of Education plans to close public schools on Hawaiʻi Island on Wednesday, Aug. 31 and Thursday, Sept. 1, 2016 as Hurricane Madeline continues its path towards Hawaiʻi. Closures are being made in anticipation of severe weather.
*All other schools in other counties will remain open until further notice.
Additionally, all Hawaiʻi Island inter-scholastic athletic events and student activities are canceled on Wednesday and Thursday.
CHARTER SCHOOL CLOSURES: School Closures due to impending Hurricane: The Hawaii State Public Charter School Commission is announcing the closure of schools in Hawaii County due to the approaching Hurricane. The following schools will close their doors as Hurricane Madeline nears Hawai’i Island.
The Following schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday:
- Connections Public Charter School in Hilo
- Hawaii Technology Academy (closing learning centers but classes will be online)
- Innovations Public Charter School in Kailua-Kona
- Kanu o ka ‘Āina New Century Public Charter School in Waimea
- Kaʻu Learning Academy in Naalehu
- Ke Kula ʻo Nāwahiokalani’ōpu’u Iki, LPCS
- Kua o ka Lā New Century Public Charter School in Pahoa
- Laupahoehoe Community Public Charter School in Laupahoehoe
- Na Wai Ola Public Charter School in Mountain View
- Waimea Middle Public Conversion Charter School in Waimea
- West Hawaii Explorations Academy in Kailua-Kona
- Kona Pacific Public Charter School in Kailua in Kealakekua
The following schools will close Wednesday, monitor the storm, and then determine if they will remain closed on Thursday.
Hawaii Academy of Arts & Science Public Charter School in Pahoa
- Ka ‘Umeke Kā’eo in Keaukaha, Hilo
- Ke Ana La’ahana Public Charter School in Keaukaha, Hilo
- Volcano School of Arts & Sciences in Volcano
A list of public charter school closures is posted here, http://www.chartercommission.hawaii.gov/.
KAMEHAMEHA SCHOOLS TO CLOSE HAWAIʻI ISLAND CAMPUS, PRESCHOOLS, COMMUNITY PROGRAMS AND OFFICES IN ADVANCE OF HURRICANE MADELINE: Kamehameha Schools today announced that all of its Hawaiʻi Island operations, including Kamehameha Schools Hawaiʻi campus at Keaʻau, KS preschools island-wide, community programs and all business offices will be closed on Wednesday, August 31, in anticipation of effects from Hurricane Madeline. KS officials will continue to monitor the situation to determine further actions as Madeline and Hurricane Lester approach the state. Updates will be shared with local media and posted to www.ksbe.edu.
UH Closures on Hawaiʻi Island in Advance of Hurricane Madeline: All University of Hawaiʻi facilities on Hawaiʻi Island will be closed for all students and non-essential personnel starting tomorrow, Wednesday, August 31, in advance of Hurricane Madeline. This includes:
* UH Hilo
* Hawaiʻi Community College
* Hawaiʻi Community College—Pālamanui
* ʻImiloa Astronomy Center
* North Hawai‘i Education and Research Center
* Hale Pohaku – Onizuka Center for International Astronomy and food and lodging facilities
* All UH Mānoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR) facilities on Hawaiʻi Island
* All UH Mānoa Institute for Astronomy (IfA) facilities on Hawaiʻi Island
Updates affecting UH campuses will be posted to http://hawaii.edu/emergency
SHELTER INFORMATION: Many HIDOE schools serve as emergency shelters; however, County Civil Defense agencies determined which schools are activated shelters.
Hawaii County has designated the following schools as activated shelters starting Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016 at 5 p.m.:
Kalanianaʻole Elementary and Intermediate
Laupāhoehoe Public Charter School
Mountain View Elementary