Maui County 12:30 p.m. Updates Related to Hurricane LesterSeptember 2, 2016, 12:36 PM HST · Updated September 2, 12:39 PM 0 Comments
Click here for: MAUI CLOSURE UPDATES
Click here for LESTER UPDATES
Click here for: 5 a.m. 9.2.16 Video Update with Meteorologist Malika Dudley
Click here for: Maui Potential Impacts
Click here for STORM PREP TIPS
As Hurricane Lester continues its path northward alongside the Hawaiian Islands, the following Maui County notifications have been made:
– Shelter locations have been placed on standby, and will be opened if needed. If there is a need to open shelters, locations will be announced and available at www.mauicounty.gov.
– The Maui County Council meeting will be held today as scheduled at 1:30 p.m. today on the 8th floor of the County building. Anyone attending the meeting in Council Chambers should access the elevators from the 1st floor due to the early closing of the building at noon.
– All Maui County landfills will operate today and through the weekend on a normal schedule.
– Hana bay will be closed for the rest of the day today and tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 3. Anyone with questions or concerns may call the Hana office at 357-8125.
– Other Maui County parks, beach parks, pools and other facilities will remain open this weekend, weather permitting, with the possible exception of Baldwin Beach Park, which may require closure due to erosion that has already damaged the pavilion area. Park maintenance crews will evaluate the status of Baldwin Beach tomorrow (Saturday) morning and determine whether the park will open or close.
The public is urged to keep in mind that large and dangerous swells are anticipated throughout the weekend along all East-facing shores in Maui County, with intermittent high surf along North-facing shores. Beach-goers are asked to exercise caution and follow any posted warnings.
“Maui County is still under a hurricane watch, so we are asking everyone to continue to stay alert and informed,” said Maui County Emergency Management Officer Anna Foust. “We’re not completely out of harm’s way until Lester passes through the islands, so we will continue to monitor this system closely.”
Storm-related updates are available online at www.mauicounty.gov. Additionally, the public is urged to call Civil Defense with any questions or concerns, at 270-7285.