Public Access Room Workshops on Maui, Nov. 14-18October 31, 2016, 4:43 PM HST · Updated October 31, 4:45 PM 0 Comments
The Legislature’s Public Access Room, a division of the Legislative Reference Bureau, will be on Maui Nov. 14-18, offering workshops and office hours to the general public.
The public is invited to the sessions to learn more about the legislative process and learn how to voice concerns and influence state laws.
Haʻikū: Monday, Nov. 14 at the Haʻikū Community Center – Hāna Highway & Pipialoha Street
Pukalani*: Tuesday, Nov. 15* at the Tavares Community Center/Pool – 91 Pukalani Street (room by the pool) *11 a.m. drop-in; 12 p.m. presentation.
Kīhei: Tuesday, Nov. 15 at the Kīhei Public Library – 35 Waimahaihai Street
Kahului: Wednesday, Nov. 16 at UH Maui College – 310 Kaʻahumanu Ave. (Laulima Room 107)
Wailuku: Thursday, Nov. 17 at the Wailuku Public Library – 251 S. High Street
Lahaina: Friday, Nov. 18 at the Kaunoa West Maui Senior Center – 788 Pauoa Street
The above sessions (unless otherwise noted) will run from 5 to 7 p.m. including a Public Access Room drop-in “office hour” from 5 to 6 p.m. during which attendees can stop in with questions or pick up information; and a presentation/workshop from 6 to 7 p.m.
Those in attendance can expect to learn more about the following:
- Tips and techniques on effective lobbying, testimony, and communicating with Senators and Representatives
- Understanding the legislative process, deadlines, and power dynamics at the Capitol
- Learn more about easy to use tools available on the Legislature’s website
- Helpful handouts, guides, and resources
- Contact PAR to register for workshop, or just drop in
Newcomers and seasoned advocates are welcome to attend.