3-Day Window Now Open for Rent Subsidy Wait ListNovember 3, 2016, 1:22 PM HST · Updated November 4, 12:54 PM 0 Comments
The Hawaiʻi Public Housing Authority in accordance with Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, will temporarily reopen the waiting list for the State Rent Supplement Program, from today through Saturday.
The online application portal will be opened for three days starting on Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016 at 12:01 a.m. and closing on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 at 11:59 p.m.
The Rent Supplement Program is a State funded program that assists eligible families. The State pays a portion of the monthly rent on behalf of eligible participants in private market rentals. The current subsidy is set at a minimum of $15 and a maximum of $230 per month.
The State’s portion under the Rent Supplement Program is paid directly to the owner or landlord by HPHA.
To qualify for this rental assistance program, a family must:
- Qualify as a household and be in a properly sized unit for its family size
- Have a household income which does not exceed the applicable income limits
- Have assets which do not exceed the applicable asset limit
- Provide reasonable assurances that the family can pay the rent on time
- Not have any outstanding debts owed to HPHA
- Must be a legal resident of the State of Hawaii
- Not have a recent history of criminal activity involving crimes to persons or property that affect the health, safety, or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents
- Not have been evicted from any of the HPHA housing programs for drug related criminal activity for three years prior to admission
- Not engage in the illegal use of a controlled substance or give the authority reasonable cause to believe that the illegal use of a controlled substance, pattern of illegal use, abuse of alcohol, or pattern of abuse alcohol, may interfere with the health and safety of the residents, or the right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents
- Must not own or have majority interest in a dwelling unit on the same island on which you seek rent assistance
- Must meet all the eligibility requirements as prescribed in the Hawaii Administrative Rules, Title 15, Chapter 184, Rent Supplement Program
- Participation in the program shall be determined by the date of application except for those displaced by a governmental action and not due to tenant’s actions.
How to Apply:
Pre-applications can only be submitted online. Other devices such as mobile phones and tablets with Internet access may also be used, if software is compatible. No pre-applications will be accepted at the Housing Authority’s offices.
Be prepared by having the names, dates of birth, and Social Security Numbers available for all persons who will be listed on your pre-application. You will need to know the total yearly gross income (before taxes) for all persons listed on your pre-application. You must list all the amounts together as one dollar amount.
Complete the pre-application on-line at hpha.apply4housing.com by clicking on “Apply Now.”
Submit a completed pre-application between 12:01 a.m. on November 3, 2016 and 11:59 p.m. on November 5, 2016.
Pre-applications submitted after this period will be automatically rejected by the system and not accepted to the wait list. Applications not fully completed (i.e., in the middle of submission) prior to the closing will be rejected.
Print your receipt or write down your Pre-Application Confirmation Number. A confirmation receipt is issued immediately after the pre-application is submitted. Print and save this confirmation.
HPHA efforts focus on developing affordable rental and supportive housing, public housing and the efficient and fair delivery of housing services to the people of Hawai`i.