Blessing and Re-Opening of ʻUlupalakua History Room
The community is invited to celebrate the blessing and re-opening of ʻUlupalakua’s “History Room” this Sunday, Jan. 29 inside the former cottage of King David Kalākaua. Kumu Hula Gordean Bailey will preside over the blessing.
The History Room re-opens after being closed for one-year undergoing a restoration and historical curation sponsored by MauiWine.
The Room now features historical photos, periodicals, journals and a timeline of important milestones that occurred in ʻUlupalakua from 1841 to present covering the plantation, ranching and winemaking eras. The Room also dedicates a wall to King Kalākaua chronicling his visits to the estate and friendship with Captain James Makee.
11 a.m. History tour
12 to 1 p.m. Blessing of the History Room by Kumu Bailey followed by a performance from hula hālau Wehiwehi o Leilehua inside the Hula Circle – a ring of cypress tress planted in 1870 by King Kalākaua to watch his dancers perform.
1 to 3 p.m. Wine programs in the Old Jail.
1:30 and 2:30 p.m. History tours
The History Room is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and is free to the public. Reservations are required for groups of 10 or more persons. MauiWine will continue to offer its regularly scheduled estate and cellar tours, and complimentary tastings of its pineapple and sparkling wines.
MauiWine is located at 14815 Pi’ilani Highway, Kula, HI 96790. For more information, call (808) 878-6058 or visit www.mauiwine.com.