Maui Business

$6.8 Million May Be Waiting for an Estimated 6,500 Hawai‘i Taxpayers

March 2, 2017, 9:47 AM HST
* Updated March 2, 9:53 AM
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

The Internal Revenue Service announced that unclaimed federal income tax refunds totaling over $6.8 million may be waiting for an estimated 6,500 Hawai‘i taxpayers who did not file a federal income tax return for 2013.

The IRS estimates that half of those potential refunds for 2013 are more than $793.

Taxes, graphic by Wendy Osher.

To collect the money, these taxpayers must file a 2013 tax return with the IRS by Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

“Many of those who did not file in 2013 may also be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit which could potentially increase their refund,” said IRS spokesman David Tucker. “EITC is targeted toward those workers with low-or-moderate incomes.”

For 2013, the EITC is worth as much as $6,044.


The IRS said that more than $1 billion may be waiting for an estimated 1 million taxpayers nationwide.


“We’re trying to connect a million people with their share of $1 billion in unclaimed refunds for the 2013 tax year,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “People across the nation haven’t filed tax returns to claim these refunds, and their window of opportunity is closing soon. Students and many others may not realize they’re due a tax refund. Remember, there’s no penalty for filing a late return if you’re due a refund.”

The IRS estimates the midpoint for potential refunds for 2013 to be $763; half of the refunds are more than $763 and half are less.

In cases where a tax return was not filed, the law provides most taxpayers with a three-year window of opportunity for claiming a refund.


If they do not file a return within three years, the money becomes the property of the U.S. Treasury.

The IRS reminds taxpayers seeking a 2013 refund that their checks may be held if they have not filed tax returns for 2014 and 2015. In addition, the refund will be applied to any amounts still owed to the IRS, or a state tax agency, and may be used to offset unpaid child support or past due federal debts, such as student loans.

Current and prior year tax forms (such as the Tax Year 2013 Form 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ) and instructions are available on the Forms and Publications page or by calling toll-free: 800- TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). Taxpayers who are missing Forms W-2, 1098, 1099 or 5498 for the years 2013, 2014 or 2015 should request copies from their employer, bank or other payer.

Taxpayers who are unable to get missing forms from their employer or other payer should go to and use the “Get Transcript Online” tool to obtain a Wage and Income transcript.  Taxpayers can also file Form 4506-T to request a transcript of their 2013 income. A Wage and Income transcript shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Taxpayers can use the information on the transcript to file their tax return.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments