Maui Film Festival Castle Theater Shows, June 24-25
The 18th annual Maui Film Festival will take place from June 21 to 25, 2016, at the Wailea Resort. A full schedule of events and screenings has been released, including the lineup screenings at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center’s Castle Theater on Saturday and Sunday, June 24 and 25, 2017.
Saturday, June 24, 2017:
- (3 p.m.) | Castle Theater: A Family Man (Trailer) (R / 108 min.) Gerard Butler, Alison Brie, Willem Dafoe, Gretchen Mol and Alfred Molina deliver a powerful redemption tale of a corporate headhunter who’s life does a “180” after his son gets ill. As his better angels lead him to re-set his priorities, from workaholic to being fully engaged in his life and with his family, as the father, husband and man they all need him to be. Mark Williams directs.
- (5 p.m.) | Castle Theater: The Trip To Spain (Trailer) (NR / 112 min.) Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon reunite with director Michael Winterbottom for another chapter in their hilarious road trip series. This time taking their wit and appetites on a tour through picturesque Spain’s finest fine dining. The Trip to Spain is a delightful road trip comedy that feels like a vacation with old friends. “In addition to calling TPTS the “the year’s funniest film”, IndieWire also called it “The well-done third installment of Michael Winterbottom’s hilarious series cements these movies as the “Before Trilogy” of food porn.”
- (7 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Mantra – Sounds into Silence (Trailer) (NR / 80 min.) This full-length feature documentary about the practice of Kirtan chanting, or Bhakti Yoga, shares the stories of people who are experiencing healing and inner peace by singing mantras together. Through encounters with a variety of leaders of the practice in the West, we discover how performers Deva Premal & Miten, Krishna Das, Jai Uttal, Snatam Kaur and MC Yogi came to embrace the practice of Kirtan, and how, over the years, it has transformed their lives. – Preceded by WHEEL OF LIFE (15 min.)
- (9 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Fits and Starts (NR / 75 min.) Wyatt Cenac and Greta Lee star in writer/director Laura Terruso’s quirky romantic comedy about a struggling writer, whose wife is a hot young literary figure, and who has just released a new masterpiece. When her publisher invites the couple to an artists’ salon at his home in Connecticut, the pair embark on a journey to what-might-be that may, or may not, ultimately set them both free. – Preceded by LEMON (NR / 13 min.) and 10K (NR / 13 min.)
Sunday, June 25, 2017
- (3 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Holy (un)Holy River (Trailer) (NR / 60 min.) Once celebrated for its purity, the Ganges River of India now carries contaminates from its glacial headwaters, where freshly fallen snow contains zinc from industrial emissions. In one the most beautifully photographed docs of the year, co-directors Pete McBride and Jake Norton examine the paradox of this sacred river — that is both divine and defiled, revered and reviled -— and ask the essential question: Can the Ganges survive? – Preceded by RAM DASS, GOING HOME (NR / 21 min.) and AWAREWOLF (NR / 9 MIN.)
- (3 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Ram Dass – Going Home (Trailer) (NR / 21 min.) As Eastern mysticism has gone virtually mainstream, we check in with the legendary American writer and spiritual teacher whose 1971 book, BE HERE NOW, arguably launched the still-expanding awareness of awareness in the United States. Filmmaker Derek Peck visits Ram Dass at his home in Maui as Ram Dass to reflect on the greatest revelations of his life — Truth, Love and Consciousness.
- (5 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Heal (Trailer) (NR / 105 min.) HEAL follows three people on actual high-stakes healing journeys to find out what works and why. We are taken on a scientific and spiritual journey by Dr. Michael Beckwith, Marianne Williamson, Dr. Joseph Dispenza, Deepak Chopra, Anita Moorjani, Dr. Bruce Lipton, Anthony William the “Medical Medium”, Gregg Braden and several others. Discover how changing one’s perceptions can help the body heal itself from any disease. Directed by Kelly Noonan. – Preceded by VICTOR & ISOLINA (6 min.)
- (7 p.m.) | Castle Theater: Hare Krishna! (Trailer) (NR / 90 min.) HARE KRISHNA! is a documentary on the life of Srila Prabhupada, the 70-year-old Indian Swami who arrives in America without support or money in the turbulent 1960s. Suddenly thrust into the raging counterculture, he speaks of the world’s real need – a revolution in consciousness. This captures the attention of a generation of youth seeking answers and ignites a worldwide spiritual phenomenon, now known as the Hare Krishna movement. – Preceded by LOVE UNLEASHED (NR / 14 min.)
MACC 4-ENTRY PASS ($48) | SINGLE TICKETS ($15), Passes Save 20% | Single Tickets Sales Start June 10th.
Additional Maui Film Festival Events:
- CELESTIAL CINEMA SCHEDULE: *Click here for a complete lineup for the 2017 Celestial Cinema screenings.
- MFF TASTE EVENTS: *Click here for a complete lineup of the Maui Film Festival’s three “Taste” Events.