Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Do I Find Out if My Property is in Flood Zone?

July 9, 2017, 1:25 PM HST
* Updated July 9, 1:34 PM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Image: FEMA Flood Map Service Center.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his staff.

Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at [email protected], 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Aloha Mayor,

Q: How do I find out if my property is in a flood zone? If it is, how do I get flood insurance or move forward with getting a flood development permit?


A: You can check the FEMA flood maps online to see if your property is in a flood zone. Go to then click on the “Development” tab on the left, then “Flood Development Permit.”


Scroll down to see the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps, which you can use to type in your address.

Information on the application and process, including elevation certificates and flood insurance, can also be found on the “Flood Development Permit” webpage.

Keep in mind that flood development permit applications must be prepared by a licensed professional engineer or architect and submitted to the Maui County Planning Department.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments