Debris Field of Downed Army Helicopter Spotted off O‘ahuAugust 16, 2017, 6:08 AM HST · Updated August 16, 6:11 AM 0 Comments
Coast Guard and Army personnel are responding to a report of a downed Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with five crew members aboard.
A debris field was spotted near Kaʻena Point off Oʻahu by responding crews at around 11:28 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017.
Two Black Hawk aircrews were reportedly conducting training between Kaʻena Point and Dillingham Airfield at the time communications were lost sometime after 10 p.m. on Tuesday.
Responders are currently searching for the five missing air crewmen.
Weather on scene is currently 11 mph winds with 2 foot seas.
Assets responding to the incident include the following:
- HC-130 Hercules airplane aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point
- MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point
- Coast Guard Cutter Ahi (WPB 87364) and crew, an 87-foot patrol boat homeported in Honolulu
- 45-foot Response Boat-Medium boatcrew from Coast Guard Station Honolulu
- UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter aircrew from Wheeler Army Airfield
- Shore patrol and a boatcrew from Honolulu Fire Department