Parents Say God & CPR Training Saved Toddler’s LifeSeptember 27, 2017, 11:15 AM HST · Updated September 27, 12:11 PM Debra Lordan · 0 Comments
The parents of the toddler who nearly drowned in a West Maui swimming pool on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, say that “God and CPR” saved the boy’s life, and recommend that all parents receive training for the life-saving measure.
At around 6:05 p.m., emergency crews in West Maui responded to a report of a child being pulled unresponsive from a residential swimming pool in Launiupoko.
When family members discovered the 2-year-old submerged underwater and unresponsive, they pulled him out and took immediate action.
The father performed CPR and the boy began to breathe on his own.
Firefighters and paramedics from Lahaina arrived at 6:15 p.m. and evaluated the boy, who was then transported to Maui Memorial Medical Center in serious but stable condition.
“We are thanking God daily for helping save our son,” said the boy’s mother, who requested anonymity for herself and her family.
She also attributes her son’s survival to his father knowing CPR.
“Hopefully, with this story, parents will be more inclined to know CPR,” said the boy’s mother.
Although some may have rushed to judgement after the story was published on MauiNow.com, the parents of the toddler wanted to share how the incident occurred as a warning to other parents.
The Maui residents said they were having a birthday pool party, courtesy of their friends who own a condo in Launiupoko.
The mother said the toddler and his 5-year-old brother are always playing on the beach or around pools or waterfalls.
“These boys love the water but also respect its power,” she said “They both are currently learning to swim but since they are still in the early phases, they always have floaties on when we are anywhere near water.”
The incident happened when the pool party was over and they were changing the kids into dry clothes.
“The floaties came off; the toys were still in pool,” the mom said.
She said her 2-year-old disappeared in an instant during the transition and that family members immediately called out for him.
His grandmother found him floating face-down in the pool.
“We think our boy must have reached for a pool toy and fell in,” she said. “Because of the boogie boards and toy floats, he was somewhat camouflaged in water.”
“It happened within seconds; within a blink of an eye,” the mother said.
She said the Grandmother immediately called for the dad (her son), then called 911. The Dad then performed CPR.
“His father started chest compressions immediately,” the mom said.
The dad “kept his cool and stayed focused on breathing life back into his son,” she said.
“He prayed the whole time,” the mom added.
It took about 40 chest compressions to revive the toddler.
“Then, his eyes popped open and he spit out water—then began crying,” she said.
Because of their teamwork, they saved the boy’s life, she added.
The mother said she was not present during the incident but was working a dinner cruise shift.
“They chose not to reach me immediately because even after knowing, there was nothing I could do,” she said. “Call it ‘maternal instinct’ but from the boat, I saw the red lights of the ambulance going down the Pali and just stopped and watched it for a minute. That was my baby in there. When I checked my phone, I had a message to call. I knew something was wrong. I headed to the ER and found out everything there.”
“I thank my son’s father and his mom for responding quickly and saving my sons life,” she said.
“When accidents happen involving a toddler, people are quick to try point blame,” she said. “I’m not blaming anyone—accidents happen—especially with a fast 2-year-old.”
Both parents are CPR-certified.
“I believe all caregivers and parents—especially on Maui—need to know CPR,” she added. “We are living on a beautiful island surrounded by water. There is always a risk. I’m teaching my boys CPR now and we are also interested in the YMCA classes that teach water safety and swim lessons.”
The boy bounced back fast, his mother shared.
“He is still releasing some of the water that made him a bit swollen but he’s back to playing and laughing like always,” mom said. “Mahalo ke akua. I’m forever grateful.”