Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Who Should I Call to Remove Roadkill?

April 29, 2018, 6:10 PM HST
* Updated April 30, 8:01 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Dear Mayor Alan Arakawa,

Q: Yesterday, I passed a large dead animal on the side of the road near my home. Who should I call to get it removed?

A: If the dead animal is a smaller animal, such as a dog or cat, you should call the Maui Humane Society at (808) 877-3680 for removal.

If the animal is larger, such as a pig, axis deer or cow, you should call the county’s Highways Division (Department of Public Works) at (808) 270-7869.


If you know that the dead animal is located along a state road or highway, contact the state highways division at (808) 873-3535.


Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa at [email protected], (808) 270-7855 or mail them to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

This column originally appeared in publication on Feb. 13, 2013.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments