Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Do Police Enforce Illegal Tints, Oversized Tires?

January 27, 2019, 6:30 PM HST
* Updated January 28, 7:13 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Q: Do police enforce and issue citations to drivers with illegally tinted windows? What about vehicles with tires extending far outside of their fender?

A: My communications staff contacted the Maui Police Department to look into your question and were told that the department’s Traffic Section conducts operations specifically targeting dark tints and tires extending outside the fenders.

In 2018, the section issued citations for over 100 window tint violations and 400 oversized tire violations. Many offenders were repeat offenders, who did not make the effort to bring their vehicles within legal specifications.

Fines issued to the vehicle’s owner can be up to $500 for each illegally tinted window. Fines issued to the installer of the tints are up to $1,000 for each illegally tinted window.


Vehicle owners with tires extending outside the fender are open to a fine of $72 and can be issued a citation for each tire.


Want to ask the Mayor? 

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at (808) 270-7855 or via mail to 200 S. High Street, ninth floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments