Maui Discussion

Ask The Mayor: How Can We Get the County to Trim Trees?

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui County Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his staff.

Q: The trees along Hoʻokele Street from Target to Zippy’s are overgrown. They are blocking the traffic lights which are a hazard for both drivers and pedestrians as they cross the street. How can we arrange to have these trees trimmed?

A:  Mahalo for your question and concerns. My staff looked into this issue and spoke with our Highways Division within the Department of Public Works.

We were told these trees are on our annual street tree pruning list and our arborist has updated the list to include all of the 70-plus shower trees from Hana Highway to Puʻunene. The contract for pruning has just been finalized and the work will begin this month.

To report issues involving street trees, please call the Department of Public Works Highways Division at 270-7230.




Want to Ask The Mayor?

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at (808) 270-7855 or via mail to 200 S. High Street, ninth floor, Wailuku, Hawaiʻi 96793.


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments