Maui Discussion

Ask The Mayor: Who’s Responsible For Easement Maintenance Near School?

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Maui Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Q: The new sidewalks near Haʻikū School are lovely, but who is responsible for the maintenance? The cane grass and weeds are all growing over the sidewalks. Who in the county or state has jurisdiction over easements connected between private homes and the road?

A: Mahalo for your compliment of the work done by our Public Works Department and I’m very happy your community can enjoy these new sidewalks.

As for maintenance and cleaning of sidewalks, every property owner whose land abuts or adjoins a County street shall continually maintain – and keep clean, passable and free from weeds and noxious growths – the sidewalk or shoulder areas which abut or adjoin the owner’s property.

If you have any questions, please call the Department of Public Works at 270-7845.


Want to Ask The Mayor?


Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793.

Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments