Maui News

Applicants Sought for Maui County Boards and Commissions

Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Applicants are being sought for 42 vacancies on Maui County boards, commissions, councils and committees. The application deadline is Nov. 15, 2019.

There are five openings on the Urban Design Review Board; three each on the Maui County Arborist Committee and the Maui County Cultural Resources Commission; two each on the Board of Ethics, Board of Variances and Appeals, the Commission on Persons with Disabilities, the Council on Aging, the Fire and Public Safety Commission, the Hāna Advisory Committee, the Kula Agricultural Park Committee, the Lānaʻi Planning Commission, the Liquor Control Adjudication Board, the Liquor Control Commission, the Maui Planning Commission and the Police Commission; and one each for the Affirmative Action Advisory Council, the Civil Service Commission, the Commission on Children and Youth, the Maui Redevelopment Agency and the Real Property Tax Review Board.

Submissions are kept on file for at least two years, and applicants are then considered for nomination when there are openings for positions well suited for their experience and interests. Openings occur when there are term expirations, vacancies and resignations on boards, commissions and committees.

Responsibilities include hearing public testimony, reviewing policies and standards. Panel members make recommendations and decisions that impact Maui County. Positions are appointed by the Mayor, confirmed by the Maui County Council and have terms lasting two to five years. While no monetary compensation is provided for serving on a board or commission, the public’s participation helps provide an important government service. Volunteers are reimbursed for allowable travel expenses.

Anyone interested in serving on a board or commission should first apply online at Or, paper applications are available at the County Building in the Mayor’s Office on the 9th floor, and in the Information Booth in the main lobby; at Council Services offices on Molokaʻi and Lānaʻi and in Hāna; and at all Parks and Recreation Permit offices (Wailuku, Makawao, Lahaina, Kihei, Hāna, Molokaʻi and Lānaʻi). Paper applications should be mailed to: Mayor Michael Victorino, County of Maui, 200 S. High St., Ninth Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793, or faxed to (808) 270-7870.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments