Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: Disposing of Abandoned Vehicles

Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Burnt out abandoned vehicles in vacant Kahului field. (4.18.16) Photo by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions.

Q: We purchased a property four years ago and upon cleaning it up, we have found two derelict vehicles.  Purchasing our own home has been a dream and we want to care for our property by properly disposing of the vehicles. We are willing to pay, but I’m concerned as to how we take a vehicle to recycling if it is not registered to us? Both vehicles are old, have no discernible tags, and have been abandoned for quite some time. Any kōkua would be greatly appreciated.

A: I’m very happy for you and your family on the purchase of your very own property. It is unfortunate that you have to deal with this issue, but I asked my staff to follow up with our Abandoned Vehicles and Metals Section for some guidance.


You should begin by calling the Maui Police Department’s non-emergency phone number at 244-6400, and select “0” to be transferred to a dispatcher. Advise the dispatcher that you would like to request an officer to respond and document the abandoned vehicle.

The officer will make a report, confirm that the abandoned vehicle is not stolen and assign a report number. This documented report then allows you to contact a tow company to have the vehicle removed. Keep in mind that the tow company will include up front disposal costs as part of their towing charge quote (not just the towing service).

Additionally, you should also contact Hammerhead Metals, the only permitted facility that can recycle old cars. Hammerhead will ask you to complete their Abandoned Vehicle Certification/Indemnification form, which you can do once the vehicle is delivered to their facility. If the vehicle has no vehicle identification number, Hammerhead will need a copy of the police report. The report will confirm the vehicle is not stolen.


Seeing abandoned vehicles on the side of our streets is an issue that continues to frustrate me, but I know our County workers are working hard and exploring new ways to combat this problem. If you or anyone else has further questions, you may call the Abandoned Vehicles and Metals Section at 270-6102.

Want to Ask the Mayor?

Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]

Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments