Public Meetings Scheduled for Maui Housing Plan To Build 5,000 Affordable Family Homes
Leaders of the local nonprofit Hawaiian Community Assets (HCA) and Realtors Association of Maui (RAM) recently discussed the affordable housing plan currently under development for the County of Maui. A series of virtual meetings are scheduled for public input.
Listen to the conversation here between Jeff Gilbreath, Executive Director of HCA, and Jason Economu, Government Affairs Director with RAM.
In November, HCA was awarded a contract from the Office of Council Services to engage the community in the creation of a comprehensive affordable housing plan that will improve the County’s workforce housing ordinance and identify opportunities to build 5,000 affordable homes for local families.
HCA will bring draft recommendations to the County Council for review in March 2021 and approval in June 2021. HCA is the lead organization for the project and has assembled a team of experts including PBR Hawaiʻi and Associates; Austin, Tsutsumi and Associates; the University of Hawaiʻi; Hawaiʻi Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice; Rural Community Assistance Corporation; and Stanley Keasling Consulting.
The HCA team is holding community meetings through February to gather feedback that will inform the recommendations. Meetings are limited to 100 attendees and held via Zoom to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. Community area residents are able to participate by registering at www.MauiHousingPlan.org.
Akakū Maui Community Media plays the meetings live on Akakū Channel 53 and Facebook Live. Meetings also will be recorded and played through March 2021 to allow for County residents to view at a later time.
Community members who attend the meetings online or view on Akakū will be provided information on how to Share Solutions at www.MauiHousingPlan.org.
For Maui County residents who are interested in registering for a meeting, click on the meetings below. All meetings will be held from 6 to 7:30 pm.
- Wailuku-Kahului: Tuesday, Dec. 8, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5fUHHF3TRqywYTjXutzlKw
- Wailuku-Kahului: Tuesday, Dec. 22, Housing Development Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jl4V0CZLT5ie4VCKYaYUwQ
- Makawao-Pukalani-Kula: Tuesday, Jan. 5, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_p-g1KaO9QDi6yYYlePRlbw
- Hāna: Tuesday, Jan. 12, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_OkyfnJEOQ4Czy8FM1NqapQ
- Lānaʻi: Thursday, Jan. 14, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Cb14GQcdT4KbL91CoktsOg
- Kīhei-Makena: Tuesday, Jan. 19, Tues, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_x5GOGHnCSC6E9Trc4ttXTA
- West Maui: Tuesday, Jan. 26, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ythXyKujQXWWdxo2u4jXTQ
- Molokaʻi: Tuesday, Feb. 2, Tues, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_mq_8zmtuRSerZIwSBcmghg
- Pāʻia-Haʻikū: Tuesday, Feb. 9, Housing Policy Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kk5uSHVKTaywf_zgwEL8lg
- Kīhei-Makena: Tueday, Feb. 16, Housing Development Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FoO8R2N-TwyTIiYQydRY3A
- West Maui: Tuesday, Feb. 23, Housing Development Workshop https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_vbI-ko-ETGOszDD-1LzgfQ