Search for Missing Idaho Man Continues at Hāmoa Beach in East Maui
March 12, 2021, 10:36 AM HST
The search continues today for a 45-year-old Idaho man who went missing in waters off of Hāmoa Beach in the Hāna area of East Maui on Thursday night.
A friend of the man called for help shortly after 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 11, reporting that she lost sight of the man as he was swimming.
Crews from the Maui Fire Department and US Coast Guard searched the area by land and sea well into the night. Air units searched until darkness fell and resumed their search at first light this morning.
Coast Guard crews described the man as having red hair. He was last seen wearing blue shorts.
Fire officials report that ocean conditions on scene were 1-2 feet of surf, clear skies and light winds.
Crews involved in the search include:
- An Air Station Barbers Point MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew
- An Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules aircrew
- A Coast Guard Station Maui Response Boat-medium crew
- Maui Fire Department: Air 1, Rescue 10, Engine 7 (with Fireski 7), as well as emergency callback personnel.
- Maui Police Department
- The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter William Hart (WPC 1134)
Anyone with information is requested to contact the Coast Guard on Channel VHF 16 or by phone at (808) 842-2600.