Refreshing, Hawaiian Fruit-Themed Recipes
When we think of Maui, it only makes sense that many of us think of the fresh fruit found here. Scrumptious, tree-ripened fruit can be found throughout the Hawaiian Islands, thanks to the year-round temperate climate and abundant sunshine. So, how can you turn Hawaii’s best fruits into drinks and savory meals your whole family will love? It’s simple: think fresh!
When you think of Hawaiian foods, the image of pineapple chicken, no doubt, enters your mind. Use fresh pineapple and watch your dish come alive with flavor!
- One pound chicken breasts, cut into one-inch pieces
- Two teaspoons cold water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- One tablespoon soy sauce
- Two tablespoons canola or olive oil
- One-half cup each green onion and celery, sliced
- Two-thirds of a cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- One tablespoon sugar
- One tablespoon corn starch
- Four tablespoons fresh pineapple juice
Marinate the chicken in the water, salt, pepper and soy sauce mixture for one hour, in the refrigerator. Discard the marinade after use. Sautee onions and celery in canola oil over a medium heat and set aside. Brown chicken in pan using olive oil or canola oil and return the sautéed onions and celery to the pan. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until you have achieved a thickened sauce. Serve over your favorite white or brown rice.
We love papaya smoothies because of the fresh fruit that’s jam-packed into them. So good for you and so delicious, you’ll want to make these smoothies for your family throughout the week!
- Four cups papaya, well peeled and chopped
- Two cups pineapple juice (either fresh or canned)
- One cup, reduced-fat milk
- One cup bananas, sliced
- Eight, large ice cubes
- Two tablespoons honey
- Four teaspoons fresh lime juice
Throw all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Apple Banana Orange Whip
Just the thought of this delicious shake and your taste buds will come alive, thanks to the fresh, citrus fruit!
- Two cups orange juice (you can squeeze it fresh or use freshly squeezed orange juice)
- One cup banana, cut into pieces
- Once cup apple, sliced and cut up into small pieces
- Two cups low-fat or fat-free milk
- Two tablespoons honey
- Two cups crushed ice
Combine all ingredients into a blender and puree until the shake is smooth and frosty.
Pineapple Cole Slaw
Keep those fresh pineapple flavors coming with our crisp, refreshing pineapple cole slaw!
- One half cup sour cream
- One half cup mayonnaise
- Two teaspoons sugar
- One tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- One teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- Two cup shredded green cabbage
- One cup apple, chopped into small pieces
- One cup carrots, shredded
- Three quarters of a cup fresh pineapple, cut into small pieces
Combine all dressing ingredients in one bowl and all salad ingredients in another bowl. Toss the salad lightly and pour dressing over salad, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.