Hirono Hosts Fraud, Foreclosure Education SeminarAugust 22, 2011, 2:49 PM HST (Updated August 22, 2011, 5:26 PM) · 0 Comments
By Sonia Isotov
With homeowners struggling to protect themselves against foreclosure and fraud prevention, Congresswoman Mazie Hirono has organized a free event August 27 to help educate the public about helpful resources available in Hawaii and on Maui.
The event will be held at the Maui Waena School in Kahului on Saturday, August 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The public is encouraged to attend this free presentation on foreclosure prevention assistance, make an appointment to meet with a housing counselor, or just gather information.
Presentations will be made from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. by the following organizations on several pertinent topics:
- Act 48, Hawaii’s new foreclosure law and the Mortgage Foreclosure Dispute Resolution Program [Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs]
- Foreclosure Prevention Assistance [Hawaii Home Ownership Center (Oahu) and Hale Mahaolu Homeownership and Housing Counseling Program (Maui)]
- Avoiding Foreclosure Scams [Legal Aid Society of Hawaii]
Other organizations that will be participating are the following:
• Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Hawaii
• Department of Hawaiian Home Lands Home Ownership Assistance Program
• Fannie Mae
• Freddie Mac
• Hawaii Maoli
• Hawaii State Judiciary, Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution
• Hawaiian Community Assets
• U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
• U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Loan Guaranty Program
The RSVPs are appreciated but not required by email to Hirono.HawaiiOffice@mail.house.gov, call (808) 541-1986.