Maui Observes Preparedness Month
By Wendy Osher
The County of Maui is reaching out to spread the word on emergency preparedness as part of National Preparedness month in September.
The theme of the campaign, This September, a time to remember, a time to prepare, encourages Americans to take simple steps to prepare for emergencies.
As part of the awareness efforts, County Emergency Management Officer, Anna Foust coordinated a media campaign that is running on several Maui radio stations, to share daily tips on what the public can do to be prepared.
This includes, but is not limited to: establishing escape routes, designating an out of town contact, teaching children about 911, and getting started on an emergency kit.
In addition being preparedness month, September is one of the busiest months for tropical cyclones in the Central Pacific, according to Marc Nishimoto, Public Health Emergency Preparedness Planner with the Maui District Health Office.
“We are in the middle of hurricane season, and the recent devastation of the East Coast by Hurricane Irene and the potential landfall of Tropical Storm Katia should remind us of the need to be prepared,” said Nishimoto.
Below are some additional tips preparedness tips Nishimoto provided:
- Make it a habit to fill up gas tanks on the same day of the week to keep the fuel level above half-filled in your vehicles.
- Don’t forget to prepare an emergency kit for your pets. This should include a crate or kennel.
- Have your kids or friends teach you how to send and receive text messages on your cell phone so you are ready to use text messaging during an emergency.
- Pack extra plastic trash bags in your kits. These may become your portable toilets and they don’t take up much space.
- Get trained in CPR and First Aid.
Finally and most importantly, he said, “take care of yourself through a healthy lifestyle so you can take care of others.”
For more information is available on the County of Maui Civil Defense website including preparedness information on:
- Citizen’s Guide for Maui County Disaster Preparedness
- Emergency shelters / centers for Maui County
- Hurricane information, and tips
- Tsunami Safety