Governor Releases $27.7 Million for More CIP Projects
By Maui Now Staff
More than $27.7 million was released last week for additional Capital Improvement Projects, in an effort to further Hawaii’s economic momentum.
The funds include a $6.9 million appropriation for Department of Health facilities statewide, with partial funding for the Maui District Health Office, and the Wailuku Health Center on the Valley Isle.
The new release brings to $192.98 million, to the total amount of CIP funds released since November.
Governor Neil Abercrombie who made the announcement said, “CIP work performed throughout the state will create local jobs and add to the steady growth that Hawai’i is now experiencing.”
The funds will be used for a variety of transportation, communications, health and health services, and agriculture projects.
New CIP project funds include:
- $774,000 – Kaumuali’i Highway (vicinity of milepost 25.9), Kaua’i: Installation of larger culverts and debris-resistant outlets to increase drainage capacity and minimize clogging
- $586,000 – Kohala Mountain Road (vicinity of milepost 12.88), Hawai’i Island: Phase II of installation of larger culverts to increase drainage capacity with headwalls constructed farther from the edge of the travel way
- $503,826 – Honolulu Harbor, Piers 34-35, O’ahu: Lease buyout for the Hawai’i Stevedores, Inc. facilities, currently located onsite, to allow for the relocation of the UH Marine Center from the Kapalama Military Reservation
- $501,400 – Bridge Inspection and Appraisal, statewide: Planning funds for the state’s bridge inspection and appraisal program, including development of a statewide plan of action
- $250,000 – Honolulu Harbor, Piers 34-35, O’ahu: Relocation of the UH Marine Center from the Kapalama Military Reservation, as part of state DOT harbors rehabilitation
- $206,000 – Waiahole Bridge, O’ahu: Replacement of existing bridge with a new bridge that meets current seismic design criteria and vehicular load and design standards
- $150,150 – Honolulu Harbor, Piers 36-38, Lease Parcel 7, O’ahu: Installation of a methane mitigation system to manage gas accumulation
- $100,000 – Honolulu Harbor, Piers 52-53, O’ahu: Replacement of approximately 2,500 linear feet of fire protection water main lines
- $55,800 – Highway Planning, statewide: Planning and research activities related to land, intermodal and alternative transportation systems
- $10,000 – Kuhio Highway, Kaua’i: Guardrail and shoulder improvements on Kuhio Highway at milepost 6.25, Kaumuali’i Highway at milepost 15.80, and Kuamo’o Road at milepost 3.60
- $7,200 – South Punalu’u Stream Bridge, Hawai’i Island: Replacement of existing South Punalu’u Stream Bridge with a new, wider bridge that meets current seismic design criteria and vehicular load and design standards
- $11,039,447 – Information and Communications Services Division radio sites, statewide: Design and construction of health and safety improvement projects to support the state’s Anuenue and Hawaiian Microwave System, and to expand radio communications coverage on Kaua’i, O’ahu, Maui and Hawai’i.
- $6,908,000 – Department of Health (DOH) facilities, statewide: Design, construction and works of art for repair and improvement projects at facilities, including: DOH Oahu Facilities, Halawa Vector Control Facility, Hanapepe Health Center, Hilo Counseling Center and Keawe Health Center, Kamauleule Building (DOH Laboratory), Kaua’i Friendship House, Maui District Health Office and Wailuku Health Center, Waimano Ridge, Waipahu Clubhouse
- $4,116,000 – Department of Health facilities, statewide: Design, construction, and works of art for additional health and safety improvement projects at various sites, including: Diamond Health Center, Irwin Health Center, Hilo Environmental Health Services Waiakea Health Center, Kalaupapa Settlement, Kamauleule Building, Keakealani State Office Building, Kinau Hale, Kona Health Center, Lanakila Health Center, Lanakila Multi-Purpose Senior Center, Leeward Health Center, Lihue Health Center, and Windward Health Center
- $1,050,000 – Kona Community Hospital, Hawai’i Island: Design, construction and works of art as part of the installation of two new generators
- $550,000 – Arc of Hilo, Client Support Services Community and Training Center, Hawai’i Island: Construction of a new facility
- $750,000 – Department of Agriculture Plant Pathology Building, O’ahu: Replacement of aging air conditioning components and related improvements
- $200,000 – Department of Agriculture, statewide: Preparation of State Agricultural Water Use and Development Plan