Spring Session of Malama Pu‘uwai goes to West MauiJanuary 4, 2011, 1:27 PM HST · Updated January 5, 5:59 AM 0 Comments
A free cardiovascular wellness program is being offered in West Maui. The spring edition of Malama Pu‘uwai (Take Care of Your Heart) program, hosted by the Maui Memorial Medical Center runs for six weeks from February 8 to March 15, 2011.
The sessions will be held on Tuesday nights from 5-7:30 p.m. at the Kaunoa Westside Senior Center located at 788 Pauoa Street in Lahaina.
The program is free and open to the public, however, pre-registration is required and space is limited. To register, those interested can call Kim at 243-3047.
The Malama Pu‘uwai program focuses on education, healthy food choices, exercise, screening and referrals. The program is aimed at promoting wellness through early detection and modification of cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Although the program is six-weeks long, the schedule allows for continuous contact with participants over a 15-month period. After the six-week program, three and nine month follow-up newsletters will be mailed, and at six and 12 months follow-up meetings will be held.
The following is offered as part of the program to participants free of charge.
- Health Assessment and Lifestyle Profile
- Blood Pressure evaluation
- Body Mass Index
- Ankle Brachial Index (if indicated)
- Laboratory tests- Blood glucose, Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL etc.
- Counseling with RN concerning assessment data and results of screenings
- 30 minutes of exercise each week
- Healthy food choices
- Referrals to health care professionals as appropriate
- Education on Cardiovascular risk factors including- Hypertension, Diabetes, Tobacco & Chemical Effects on Health, Stress Management, Fitness, Nutrition and Motivation to Change
- Assistance in lifestyle goal setting and strategies
- A healthy meal is offered at each session and is sponsored by the Maui Memorial Medical Center Foundation