Olukai Ho‘olaule‘a Features Legendary Maliko DownwindMay 13, 2011, 10:08 AM HST · Updated May 13, 12:00 PM 0 Comments
By Wendy Osher
Each May, family and friends gather for the storied Maliko Downwind Run at Kanaha Beach Park on Maui’s North Shore. The Olukai Ho’olaule’a event blends elite competition with family-friendly activities.
SUP and OC1 paddlers take to the water to compete in the legendary 8-mile Maliko downwind run.
The activities run from May 14 to 15 with canoe sailing, surfing, ancient Hawaiian games, traditional luau, hula and live music. The event is supported by Hawai‘ i Tourism Authority.
Schedule of events:
Saturday, May 14, 2011
• 8 a.m.: ‘Ohana Fun Paddle Check in at Paia Youth & Cultural Center
• 9 a.m.: ‘Ohana Fun Paddle, Paia Bay to Kanaha Beach Park
• 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Free sailing canoe rides, surfing canoes, SUP Demos, and Hawaiian Games hosted by Muai Cultural Lands at Kanaha Beach Park
• 10 a.m.: SUP Race Check-in at Maliko Gulch
• 11:30 a.m.: Pule, opening blessing at Maliko Gulch
• 12 p.m.: SUP Race: Maliko to Kanaha Beach Park
• 2 p.m.: Luau and Entertainment
• 3 p.m.: SUP Awards Ceremony
• 4 p.m.: Special Musical Guest
Sunday, May 15, 2011
• 10 a.m.: OC1 Race Check-in at Maliko Gulch
• 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Free Sailing Canoe rides, Surfing Canoes & Hawaiian Games hosted by Maui Cultural Lands at Kanaha Beach Park
• 11:30 a.m.: pule, opening blessing at Maliko Gulch
• 12 p.m.: OC1 Race – Maliko to Kanaha Beach Park
• 1:30 p.m.: Racer Lunch & Live music
• 2 p.m.: OC1 Awards Ceremony