Maui News

UPDATES: Kahului Okudara Siege – Summary of Events

Listen to this Article
3 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

By David Kvasnicka

josiah okudara kahului siege standoff barricade

Josiah Okudara. Photo courtesy of Crime Stoppers.

Last updated 8/15

The three other people with Okudara during the siege have been charged with Hindering Prosecution I. Police confirm that three semi-automatic rifles, one revolver and ammunition were recovered from the scene. More details below.

Josiah Okudara surrendered to police at 3:07 p.m., and was placed in police custody. It brings to a close an unusually long stand-off which tested the patience of nearby residents and some in the community at large.

However, the Maui Police Department’s attempt to end the siege peacefully was successful, with no casualties. “We had time on our side,” said Lt. Wayne Ibarra, of the Maui Police. “We could build rapport, build trust; there was no reason anyone had to get hurt.”


Okudara is expected to be charged for this incident in the next few days, as the Criminal Investigations Division moves in to inspect the crime scene. In the meantime, Okudara will be held due to his outstanding indictment for Attempted Murder II. His bail has been set at $550,000 and appeared in court at 8 a.m.  August 15. Okudara pleaded not guilty to his outstanding warrants.

ERATH K KAIHEWALU police photo kahului siege barricade standoff

Erath K Kaihewalu. Image courtesy of the Maui Police Department.



The two females (22 and 23 years-old, from Kahului and Hana respectively), and one male involved in the siege were charged with Hindering Prosecution I. The name of the man involved is 18 year-old Erath K. Kaihewalu of the 191 Opukea St. residence in Kahului. Court date has been set for September 13 at Wailuku Circuit Court. Kaihewalu has posted $1000 bail and is free; the two women were also released.

Summary of Events


Wednesday August 10

  • 1 p.m. Police became aware that Josiah Okudara, a 22 year-old man wanted in connection with serious crimes, was at a residence on Opukea St. in Kahului. Police engaged with men in the home, who failed cooperate. Police were tipped off (now confirmed by police).
  • Maui Police’s Special Response Team was called to the scene, established perimeter. SWAT van visible near residence. Negotiations began.
  • Residents evacuated to Kahului Community Center. Other residents opted to stay in their homes.
  • Police blocked Opukea, Hoomoku, Makamaka and Mahaolu Streets.
  • That evening, two women and a child voluntarily left the residence. Police said they were not hostages.

    Law enforcement remained on scene Wednesday night where they had staked out a home in Kahului. Courtesy Photo.

    kahului standoff, police blockage, road block

    12:30 a.m. 8/11/2011. The main police blockade on the corner of Hoomoku and Hookui Streets. Photo by David Kvasnicka.

    kahului suspect captured siege standoff

    Authorities placed one man in handcuffs around 2:35 p.m Thursday. The man cuffed is not Josiah Okudara. Courtesy photo

  • 9:30 p.m. Multiple gunshots from within the residence were heard.

Thursday August 11

  • 1 a.m. As the stand-off entered the early morning hours, Special Response Team members prepared for a long siege, taking folding beds out of the SWAT vans.
  • Evacuated residents at Kahului Community Center re-located to Red Cross Shelter.
  • 7 a.m. onwards. Nearby residents reported hearing gunfire at various times throughout the siege, however police at the scene said that the sounds were OC gas and flashbangs detonating.
  • 8:22 p.m. More gunshots heard coming from within the residence (now confirmed by police).
  • Water mains were turned off in the area. Electricity also turned off.
  • 2:35 p.m. A man emerges from the residence, but it is not Okudara. The man is later identified as 18 year-old Erath K. Kaihewalu. Police take the man away in handcuffs.

Friday August 12

  • 10 a.m. Police say unknown man who surrendered at siege is still in police custody, though no charges were laid. Police hopeful that siege will end this day.
  • 10.40 a.m. Gunfire again heard from within residence.
  • 3:07 p.m. Okudara walks out of residence, surrendering to police.
  • Police re-opened most streets, except for Opukea St.
  • 4:28 p.m. Mayor Arakawa releases written statement commending Maui Police, Chief Gary Yabuta and the Red Cross.
  • 5: 30 p.m. Police remove chemical hazard left behind by OC gas so that investigators can enter premises.
  • Criminal Investigations Division at scene on Opukea St.

Saturday August 13

  • 3:15 p.m. Police confirm that three semi-automatic rifles, one revolver and ammunition were recovered from the scene.
  • 7:30 p.m. The two females (22 and 23 years-old) and one male beside Okudara involved in the siege were charged with Hindering Prosecution I. The name of the man involved is Erath K. Kaihewalu (18 years-old). Court date set for September 13. Kaihewalu has posted $1000 bail and is free. The two women have also been released.

See our related stories for more details:



  • josiah okudara, kahului siege, kahului standoff, kahului barricade, maui standoff, standoff house maui, barricade house, kahului residence

    An old image of the house where the siege took place. Image obtained by Maui Now.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Mahalo for Subscribing
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments